This is the Message Centre for Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Oh No, I'm Officially Old.

Post 1

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

That's it, I'm old.

Yesterday one of the girls in our office glanced at her watch and said 'It's five to five'. So, naturally, I shouted 'Crackerjack!'.
Result?
She looked at me with a totally blank face and asked what the Hell I was on about. smiley - wah

smiley - ale

Post 2

Number Six

Crackerjack!

You're not too old, she's too young. I'm suddenly finding this these days. I'm no longer bothered whether girls in their early twenties are attracted to me or not, because they're boring!

smiley - mod

Post 3

Number Six

Or they don't get what I'm on about half the time, because we don't have the shared life-experience - which of course amounts to the same thing.

smiley - mod

Post 4

Mind you, said girl is a bit ditzy- I once had to explain to her the significance of saying that someone had been paid 30 pieces of silver. smiley - doh

smiley - ale

Post 5

Orcus

I suggest you don't have her as a partner in your next pub quiz smiley - laugh

My partner's 17 yo daughter didn't know who Reagan was when he died and I discovered in the same conversation she hadn't heard of John Lennon! smiley - yikes

Post 6

A. Honeybadger

Ah, Crackerjack... the quicksand of cultural reference.

I go through this experience with my uni cohort every day, since I'm 20 years older than most of them! smiley - laugh

The only thing that makes you old, though, Kerr, is believing that its happening. Me, I'll always be about 22, no matter what the mirror says. smiley - winkeye

Post 7

GreyDesk

I regularly find that the staff at Sainsbury's deli counter don't know how much a quarter weighs.

Post 8

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

>My partner's 17 yo daughter didn't know who Reagan was when he died and I discovered in the same conversation she hadn't heard of John Lennon!,

What a fortunate child to have missed two of the biggest blights on the planet in the last forty years.

smiley - shark

Post 9

I did once hear The Beatles refered to as 'The band Paul McCartney was in before Wings'. That might me pause a while.

smiley - ale

Post 10

GreyDesk

That is strange, that someone remembers Wings. Now I know that they were a massive band at the time, but they seem to have disappeared entirely from the radar. I can't for the life of me remember the last time I heard a Wings track on the radio; we must be talking coming on for decades here.

Post 11

Blues Shark - For people who like this sort of thing, then this is just the sort of thing they'll like

Hmm, I've heard 'Band on the Run' and 'Live and let Die' within the last week, oddly enough.

smiley - shark

Post 12

I hear both on a regular basis. They're on the local's jukebox, and get played alarmingly often. Not that they're bad songs as such, but really.

smiley - ale

Post 13

Demon Drawer

Actually Kerr as it wasn't Friday and it's five to five you must not be that old as you wouldn't shoult out Crackerjack on a Tuesday evening oh no!

Post 14

frenchbean

Good point DD smiley - laugh

Don't emigrate Kerr... the number of cultural references that don't match here is scary. I say things without thinking - referring to stuff that everybody knows about in Scotland - and receive blank stares. It happens so often that people now say to me "It's a Pommy thing, right?"

Interestingly, there are far fewer Aussie cultural references that I miss out on. I can only think of three or four occasions when I've had to ask for an explanation. I wonder why that is? I would dare suggest that it's a cultural desert here of course smiley - tongueoutsmiley - tongueout

To be fair, it isn't a cultural desert at all. But it is perplexing smiley - ermsmiley - huh

Post 15

GreyDesk

That would be the insidious influence of Neighbours on British society smiley - winkeye

Post 16

All right DD- it wasn't Friday, but it was close enough.

GD's probably right Fb, we already get most of oz's output inflicted on us.

smiley - ale

Post 17

frenchbean

"Most of Oz's output" being Neighbours and Home & Away?

I can't believe I'm about to do this, but.....

There's a lot more to Australian TV than bad soap operas. There are some really good dramas and there's some fantastic documentary making - not to mention excellent current affairs. ABC and SBS TV stations are good... almost BBC standard, but not quite smiley - winkeye

As for kids programmes - well there are some very idiosyncratic (and indescribably awful) things which everybody knows about here - rather like Crackerjack in UK. But on the whole, there are fewer of them and a lot of the kids' stuff is imported from UK and US.

Post 18

This will sound horribly un-PC, but frankly I think it's safe to assume that OZ tv isn't the difference maker here.

The difference maker is the insularity of Australia compared to the UK. We still tend to regard ourselves as part of the Commonwealth and Part of Europe and part of the Trans-Atlantic alliance, thus having a pretty good news covergae of all three.

Oz mostly sems to see itself as part of OZ, and then maybe South-East Asia, and then as part of the TransPacific Pact.

Hardly suprising that the points of reference are different, really.

smiley - shark

Post 19

You know, I'm suddenly struggling to think when I last saw a news story about Australia...
... A couple of weeks ago I think. That millionaire that snuffed it.

smiley - ale

Post 20

Points of cultural reference aren't news though. But I would guess if you did a stufdy you would fuind that the UK's appreciation of Aussie cultural references far proceeds Aussie Soaps on our tv's.

And it can't all have been Barry Humphries and Clive James fault either. Though of course, the earliest examples of Dame Edna are Humphries comments on the strange cultural assumptions of suburban Australia when looking at the rest of the world.

smiley - shark

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more