This is the Message Centre for Andy

Darn fireworks

Post 1

Andy

3 Nov 07
For the last few days there has been people setting fireworks off now more and more people setting fireworks off and its not even the 5th yet its making the dog a nervous wreck and sending her up the wall . Which in turn is sending us up the wall having to cope with the barking but the thing about it is it was eleven before it started to stop last night and probably will be again smiley - grr

isn't it time now to change the law regarding fireworks sell them on the 5th x amount per customer or only sell them if it is an organised display and you have a permit (for god sake soon you will need one for every thing Else) away as much as humanly possible from built up areas

Note the date people its the 3rd have a thought for pets and there owners for goodness sake

Darn fireworks

Post 2

lostbagpuss999 ..... join us in the h2g2 bookclub .... for scintillating conversation

I couldnt agree more - my poor little sammy is beside himself as he was last night and will be all weekend - then he spends all day worried - like you say the barking nearly drives you crazy doesnt it - they should be banned from sale and only licensed displays should be allowed and only on the 5th or the weekend prior
its not only dogs you know - at work we are inundated with calls from people who are sick of them and also elderly people who cant cope !

Darn fireworks

Post 3

bobstafford

To have in your possession an egg cup full of black powder (gunpowder) you have to have a shotgun licence, and an explosive licence and a bloody good reason to have either.

The firework an item infinitely more dangerous (in the hands of the average prat that buys them) is on free sale to all and sundry. The projectile ability of a standard rocket combined with its fire starting ability is awesome. and only bettered (just) by an arsonist.

Then there is the dog and cat scaring ability, what about the wild life they persuadably take no notice.

I am with Intern the thing is getting out of hand Fireworks are for the 5th and that’s it, no wonder the festival is dying out. smiley - ale

Darn fireworks

Post 4

Andy

LBP

indeed i bet they also get very frightened by them aw poor Sammy

Bob

couldn't agree more bob half of them are idiot kids who think its a funny to torcher poor animals with them or terrorise other people with them or indeed treat them like toys don't they realize how dangerous they are

Darn fireworks

Post 5

lostbagpuss999 ..... join us in the h2g2 bookclub .... for scintillating conversation

thing is that they dont care not one whit !
yesterday a house in Oxford burnt down when a rocket was fired through their letterbox whilst they were asleep - the house is gutted and they were very very lucky to get out

Darn fireworks

Post 6

Steve51

In Australia the general public cannot by fireworks anymore. This ban was put in place in the 1970's if I remember correctly. You can buy bags of small fireworks, but they are pretty harmless an not loud at all. Besides, we have massive fireworks displays on Special occassions, eg New Year on Sydney Harbour, etc. It is well worth the wait for those, and the viewing is FREE..just get there early...smiley - biggrin

Darn fireworks

Post 7

bobstafford

How do you fire a rocket throuhg a letter box, that was deliberate and therefore arson or attempted murder. There should be a record kept of each sale at the very least and proof of ID taken.

Was the area one of these often visited by the police if you know what I mean lbp.

Darn fireworks

Post 8

Andy

LBP

realy good god thats terrible half wits ain't they are exactly the people who should be stopped from geting them smiley - grr

Stephen

That's what they should do over here as well sounds a really good idea yes its all the more special if you only get them at certain times not to mention the less stress this time of year will have on your wildlife over there the poor things over here are going mental at the moment my dog is literally shaking from the fright

Darn fireworks

Post 9

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

Nov 5th = bonfire fortnight(minimum)

but now, it's also new years eve and other religions throughout the year, in Wakefield, there are 2 shops that sell only fireworks(all year round)

I agree totally, a total ban of them, to me those and burning an effigy are out moded and out dated, leave them in the history books

Darn fireworks

Post 10

Andy

Prof Animal

here here i cant believe there aloud to be sold all year around not only is it stupid but also a serious health and safety risk if there is a electric fire or arson attack and they have a big supply of fireworks there

Darn fireworks

Post 11

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

one word! profit, all the other religions have their festivals, so it's a loophole in the setting off of fireworks and the time limits

Darn fireworks

Post 12

Andy

yep i know what you mean its now 10:37 and there still setting the dam things off smiley - grr this is why it should be a ban unless it is a organised display by a permit holder on the 5th for one hour window as much as possible away from populated areas

Darn fireworks

Post 13

the area that it happened in is quite a "good" area if you know what I mean and yes it is arson definately
the "other religions " in my experience and certainly in Oxford always tell the police when and where the fireworks are going to be and if memory serves me right ( tho someone will prolly know for sure ) is just for a period of an hour and for about 5 mins during that hour if you know what I mean
there are still fireworks being let off here and tho I took the dogs out we had to come back as it was like a siege out there
sounds as if Aus has the right idea - roll on the day we do the same here

Darn fireworks

Post 14

prior to the new bits that have recently been added to the firework legislation the only thing the law specified was that they should not be thrown at people - the new additions arent much more helpful than that really

Darn fireworks

Post 15

round here, the other year and at various times throughout the year, during the night,we would here one banger/airbomb go off and that was a local drug dealer,telling his "clients" that he'd got a supply in

Darn fireworks

Post 16

hopefully he is now in the pokey prof and not only for the dealing

Darn fireworks

Post 17

it has been quietsmiley - laughas such

but with fireworks and the "terrorist" problem, you'd think that that would help to ban them ? apart from public displays

Darn fireworks

Post 18

bobstafford

Due to the expense they are very poor value for money. We just need to be more careful about who buys them.smiley - smiley

Darn fireworks

Post 19

nearly all fireworks now, are Chinese imports, err! home made ones are rare for garden use, they're more for displays now

Darn fireworks

Post 20

bobstafford

And they are still hugely expensivesmiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post

Darn fireworks

More Conversations for Andy

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more