Post 1

Ed

So what is life all about exactly?

Oh, by the way, hello and welcome to h2g2 smiley - biggrin

smiley - flyhi

liff

Post 2

wildiris

life is about learning... we know that already im sure. its about helping others, sharing, all the things that you are taught as a child. wash your hands, eat your vegetables even though you hate them, respecting others and animals. and the earth of course. and learning to smile everyday, even if things are going badly. its about doing what is right, seeing how your actions can affect others. there are sooooo many things that it is about, the basic is learning and loving..... loving yourself, the environment you are in, if you dont like that, you can change it. all the old adages are around for a reason... we have to let the sun shine in our lives... i know i may sound corny to you but we are only here to learn from ourselves and others, all of our experiences, the problems we face and how we face them is about learning. i am a very scattered thinker, and i write how i think, so please bear with me. i havent figured out exactly what i am here to give, on earth, what my contribution is to be, maybe my paintings, my insight, myself. but that is what i am trying to figure out right now. thank you for responding, have been trying to make a connection here. take care wildiris

liff

Post 3

wildiris

why are you such a sad person? the world is what you make it!!! i have always been a very sad person as well, all the s**t that has happened in my life, but i am alive, and i decided that i was going to stop seeing things so negatively, and take pleasure in the small things in life that make me smile. i dont know what you like, but i like going for walks in a rainstorm, being by water, people watching. that is the best one, some people have some very strange habits, and its great to watch how others go about their day. how some think that they are so important in life, and others think that they dont have a reason to be here, they are just surviving in this experience called life. we are all here for some reason, be it prime minister or beggar. we are all cut out for something, we just have to find it. just dont be a coward with life. i have experienced that already, my brother committed suicide, and it is hard for those left behind. well i hope that i havent bored you with my answer, i can write very easily, have a little bit of typing diaherria actually. take care wildirissmiley - smiley

liff

Post 4

Ed

My apologies for the lateness...

I am sad probably because I made it that way - I don't know. I actually prefer myself to be how I am considering the extent to which I can help it.
That's strange - I thought I was one of the few who sometimes sit outside in the rain (and catch a cold, but that only happens aftersmiley - smiley).
I like watching things like a sport being played at lunchtime (I am still at school), but there's something about most human activity that, to me, sort of seems unnatural ...
I am one of those people with strange habitssmiley - smileyand one of those who seem to find things pointless...on the majority of dayssmiley - smiley
smiley - smileyOne of my cousins (after being around me for a while I think) thinks that things are ultimately pointless, and therefore walks around being very important in lifesmiley - smiley
Just because we're all cut out for something, do we necessarily have a reason?

Hey don't worry - you haven't bored me in the very least. smiley - ok
And I wish I could type all my thoughts (translating them into English can be a problem). Scattered thinking's good, and it's also how I think, at the times when I manage to do so at all.
Sorry about your brother.

Smiling every day even when you're not happy seems to me a bit untrue. That reminds me of a conversation I had with my parents - they were saying when people say "how are you" near the beginning of a conversation is only to make conversation, not really because they're interested in how the person is, and I was saying that, when I say it, I actually want to know how they are. I've always been weird like that.
It doesn't matter if you sounded corny - not that you did - . If it was it's probably because that's what most people think, and it's therefore more true.

- oh well, enough of my random ramblings

smiley - cool

liff

Post 5

wildiris

i know what you mean about the how are you etc. and how it has become just a greeting. but you have to remember that people will only get you down if you let them. there comes a point in which you realize that although you interact with people in all sincerity, most dont. that is why we have such a diverse society. there really isnt anyone like you, there are people that are interested and feel the same way about things as you do, and you will be able to find those like minded people. thank you for the sorry, but it was just a part of my life experience, and has helped me grow. there are many things that will happen in all of our lives, that will form the person that we are to be. how old are you if you dont mind me asking? you said that you are in school, high school, college, or university? because i believe that age really does have an affect on how we view life? what is your mother tongue if english is hard for you to express yourself? if it is french, i may be able to understand what you are trying to say if you would prefer to correspond in it. any other language i dont have much experience with, but other latin languages, spanish, italian etc, i have a bit of understanding in as well. i couldnt speak them, but i can read them. i am a rare bird. i was having a conversation with someone last night that was quite interesting. about how we think and learn. and the use of our brains, as well as theology and really just all kinds of stuff, and for some reason i thought you would enjoy it... i have typed alot so i will go... i hope that you dont let your frame of mind let you forget who you are, and that you can see what your journey is all about... learning. some of us really have to learn lessons the hard way, but if you are able to learn from others, the better it is for you!!smiley - smiley take care wildiris

liff

Post 6

Ed

I'm afraid I must have mislead you in one or two ways: It really is me who gets myself down, even though it can involve other people a lot; and english is the language I grew up with, and I only know parts of a few others. I meant translating it from my brain, from thought language if you like. It is just hard to express myself in general. -probably hence the deception.
Anyway, I'm not really a big fan of happiness.
I am 17 years, and from Australia, and am doing the last year of high school.
Age definately has an effect on the way we view things, yes. I'd say that younger people are more full of energy, and will more readily take a task on or stand up for their beliefs. smiley - smileyI've heard it said that "the true index of somebody's age is the amount of pain they experience when confronted with a new idea"smiley - smiley
I am interested in thought and psychology and the likesmiley - ok. I have heard of a book in which the government of somewhere (the book is fictional) restricted the words in their language so that the people don't think those ideas. Obviously it suggests that you can't think things that aren't words. I don't believe that's the case though. How would words be created in the first place then?
I do believe it to be the case for senses though - can you imagine sensing another sense? I didn't think so smiley - smiley
I will try to focus my learning on philosophicy things.
smiley - smiley

liff

Post 7

wildiris

sorry for the misinterpretation. language is a strange thing. i like to feel things myself. from others, things etc. i am just learning to use the english language, i mean communicating in a verbal way. i have spent a long time within myself, and so to speak am coming out of my shell. is the fact that you are not a big fan of happiness have to do with your experiences? or is it that you dont quite see the beauty that is around you, and in those you see? im not trying to make assumptions on the person that you are, but i myself have been through some major depressions, and i have come to realize that it is all perception. it is good that you are interested in thought and psychology, they are very interesting aspects of our life. then you can understand the thought process...gotta go take care wildiris

liff

Post 8

Ed

smiley - grrAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrggggghhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
OK, that's out of my system - I wrote a message, and then I reloaded the page by accident - I'll make one again..
Oh yes, sorry for the lateness, I've...not been on here much lately...

Why is it that you have come out of your nutshell?
I definately don't notice the beauty around me - most of the time - I like the sun and I like music - and I believe I shouldn't - or should.
No - shouldn't. I don't know, I'm concerned about others' happiness more than mine - they want it more, my happiness doesn't do anything to anything.

ehh..I don't feel very -I don't know.

err sorry you had to wait (again)

liff

Post 9

wildiris

feeling a little erratic? me too alot of the time....one thing that i have found, that the longer you live for others happiness, the harder it is to find your own. there is being conscientious of those around you, and living for those around you...the more you take in of each day, the better you will feel. i was thinking yesterday, if we could keep a momento for each good day that we have, each positive experience that would be a good thing, we could look at this stick for instance, that we found on a walk in the woods, and the feeling that we had in that experience would come back to us. the only problem is that the older we get, the more memories are stored, we will eventually forget some of the really old ones...hell sometimes i dont remember what i was feeling 5 minutes ago....but i think for the most part, i do try and cease the day, the beauty in it anyway... you probably think that i am a little wierd, but hey we all are...the nutshell thing, not sure about, i guess that it is because i am learning to come into myself, learning to like the shell i am in, and trying not to judge myself soo hard.. it doesnt really matter how others see you, if you cant see yourself. hope that all is well in your world, school is almost done, and you will be able to have a good summer...if it stops snowing...we had snow again on fri here, not enough to stay but still, we should be in shorts now!!! well take care hope to hear from you sooon wildiris your happiness does everything to everything...if you are not happy, how can those around you be, they will be unhappy too!!smiley - smiley you dont feel very grounded, i suppose take a walk...it helps clear the head later

liff

Post 10

Ed

Do I feel eratic? Yes, yes I do. Thank you for teaching me the new word.
I disagree, if you live for others' happiness, then the happiness in others that you create will make you happy.
Happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
smiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smileysmiley - smiley
right
How, by the way, .... do you just automatically find beauty in things?

I find it does seem to matter what others think of you. (I'll likely wisen up as I grow older.) I used to not care much, but it obviously is essential to our happiness - we are a sociable species. I find it hard because, for some reason, there are no social skills instilled in me - or not many.

There are 3 more terms (1.5 semesters) left of high school for me (assuming I pass this year, which may not be a good assumption - probably is though)...and we just had summer - it's moving into winter now. smiley - smiley

No, I don't find that people are sadder when I am smiley - biggrin (except somebody I share a conversation with...I should get back to that)
I don't take walks at all often, and I know they will help, but I mostly have to do schoolwork.

Thank yoou so much for your help - smiley - hug

liff

Post 11

wildiris

sorry i forgot that you are on a different continent then i, here they will be done school in june...summer isnt here yet, actually we had snow here on mon. its may!!! the snow is from nov. to april here. summer isnt until july... the best way to see beauty in things...objects is to look at them with an open mind, feel the colours, texture shape and try and feel them...if that makes sense.. some things, man made can seem ugly like a gun or some other weapon, but we try not to look at those things...really tired...will write more later take care wildiris

liff

Post 12

Ed

when I look around me I just see what may once have been beautiful, but now there are too many people...

liff

Post 13

wildiris

sorry it has taken me so long..i did reply but the computer didnt accept it, so i left..you are right the country was once beautiful but there is just people, so you look at the beauty in them instead...the eyes do it...take care of yourself wildiris

liff

Post 14

Ed

Irritating isn't it? - writing amessage that doesn't go on smiley - smiley

If beauty is seen in all things, nothing will probably change. It could be better, but if you're happy with it, it won't become better.
smiley - smiley That's one of the reasons that I like sadness over happiness. But then happiness would just become some unacheivable goal.
? Oh well

liff

Post 15

wildiris

i didnt say that it was a happy thing to see the beauty in things, and the changes would be wonderful as well...happiness is always an unattainable goal, because we create our own environment, we create negativity, and draw everything that happens to us, to us....do you know what i mean? i have had the opportunity to see alot from life, my lessons have taught me that yes we have no control over the things that go on in our world, especially other people, but we can control our reaction to these things, and it is alot better to think positively about our life, because we are all just a speck of dust in the scheme of the universe....i know that was corny, but its true, and to live your life in negativity is to not live life, it is stagnant, if there wasnt negativity this world would be heaven, we need negativity to learn to be temperarily happy, everything is in the moment, and the best thing to do is to learn to live for that moment, because what you feel in a moment can take you for the rest of your life, it will always be with you...that is the best thing about being a human, we have feelings...wow i have really did a number this time...hope its understandable...its not like all of this hasnt been said before it is what life is about take care wildiris oh things do always get better, our society sucks...they way that we live now in this world sucks but we have a lesson here, and we are expected to learn it ...eventually

liff

Post 16

Ed

I keep thinking about this, except the words fall to the ground whenever I write.

How do you see beauty in something and want to change it? or not be happy with it? Unless the change was more beautiful.

We have control over the things that go on. Somebody's got to cause them. I'd say it's mainly the ones who are aware of this that do the causing.
It would be impossible for things to be heaven for everyone. We all have conflicting view points. If we learn to live with them, it still would'nt really be heaven.
You're right - negativity must be there. It's probably a good thing it is.

Sometimes I feel cursed by my feelings. Mostly, for some reason, I desire to overcome them. Many of mine are different to others'. They kind of hinder in my thinking... But so do other things. I don't know what but I don't think well anymore - particularly not socially. (And I am a teenager!)

I miss your messages and I'm sorry I haven't posted often. (School and holidays and things. I just got back from school holidays - computerless ones with work to do in them)

I shouldn't worry so much. Like you said about that speck of dust thing. Anyway my worries are petty.
Gotta go - lesson change.

Thank you so much
smiley - hug

liff

Post 17

wildiris

i have been working alot lately so i havent been on much either, the thing that i find interesting about writing to you is that i have to think about what the hell we are talking about...i dont have to think much about much lately....well we always think, but lately i have just been thinking about how to get myself out of the situation in which i have put myself into...strange the things that we can do to ourselves...when i came to this site i was staying at a friends house, well you have probably read my journal entries...something that i havent taken to time to do lately, should get on that, anyways, we are always thinking about something..but it is actions that create things...have to read your letter just a sec. your not thinking well could be caused by something that is stuck in your head, and maybe if you express it on paper whatever it will unblock you..we all go through periods of not being able to think clearly, and it usually comes from stress, or not having people to connect to...not allowing ourselves to connect to people is more like it...i have noticed myself doing that as of late...and i am trying to figure out how to change my own negative patterns and to be more aware of things that are going on throughout the world...as helpful as i try to be to others i dont spend enough time with myself and doing the things that i like to do...right now i would like to be able to spend more quality time in life...you cant be cursed by your feelings, only you can change how you see things...maybe with a little help from someone else suggesting it, but ultimitely you are responsible for your own destiny...it doesnt matter how different your thinking is from others thats the whole point isnt it? if we were all the same the world would be a pretty boring place...i miss writing with you as well like i said at the top...my short term memory thing isnt doing very well..actually it hasnt for years...i think it is the antidepressants that fog up my head...but they keep me from being suicidal...most of the time....still a work in progress myself...we learn everything that we need to know the day we die....i mean our lesson is done then..do you express your worries? they may seem petty but they need to be expressed...although we are social creatures i am only an observer..i cant communicate socially at all!!!unless it is one on one or in some kind of false persona that i can act socially in...you know the people that we are when we are around others...the camelian? thing that we all do when we are face to face with people...i hate it so i just keep my mouth shut at most instances... remember that all people love talking about themselves and if you can appear interested you can learn alot about others well i have wrote a whole novel...you should learn to open yourself up more to people...without a computer screen...the challenge of the week for both of us is to be aware and interact with others...if there is someone that you have always been afaid to talk to try it this week forget about shyness...maybe you will be able to find something out that is interesting to you....ask an old person about their life or something.....one thing that we have to remember is that we arent to judge all books by their covers...they have gotten to where they are for some reason or another...you dont have to do this...but i will try and get back to you on it take care wildiris

liff

Post 18

wildiris

i forgot to answer the first question you asked...dont remember where the beauty in things came from...but i think that i was trying to express the fact that if we see things that are beautiful..for example a sunset or sunrise everyone thinks that they are beautiful...that is a common thing in humans the end of a day and a start to a new one...would you want to change how a sunrise looked? some days yes...its raining or it is too cloudy etc.... i think that i may be expressing myself poorly...anyways but the ideal in our head of a beautiful sunrise or sunset is always there im lost im sorry will come back at another time when i am less scattered..take care wildiris wouldnt want to change something beautiful, but would like to always appreciate it...i am an observer of small things in life....dont notice much of the big things...live in a small world i guess

liff

Post 19

Ed

You're so right - people do love to talk about themselves. As soon as I got up from reading your message I found this out about myself, too.
Thank you so much for the challenge (I took it aboard wherever I went in the back of my head, and it works well). The good thing is that I actually am interested in what others have to say. A problem arose yesterday, when I was just seeming interested to make conversation. It was just too untrue. I did it, but I didn't like it later. I have to want to know what they say. It ties in with my original problems (in a way that I can't properly express, but will be able to when I stop trying).
smiley - magic
How did you go?

No, there just seems to be nothing in my head. I doubt things are cluttering it. Actually, it is quite cluttered with my thinkings about morals and whatever.

smiley - biggrin If you try to expell your negative thoughts and be more aware of the world around you, you'll probably just notice the negativity smiley - biggrin No, seriously, the world is very well set up to generate negativity in people, and it just stays because everyone is just as negative. (I'm trying to break it how I can, or at least (which is probably exactly what you're doing) not be consumed in it myself. Some people just don't think of it, and it's a relatively taboo subject.

Hey, yeah, that's kind of the problem - my instincts kind of want me to do one thing, but ...nope, still not explained properly. smiley - huh

smiley - yikes Do the antidepressants change the way you think?

You don't get enough time to yourself? smiley - smiley I get plenty.

The chameleon sucks. I hate it when people do that. Everybody does, though, I'd guess.

I'd be too happy if I was more social. Too happy, probably, to continue thinking about other things outside of my happiness. That's what it does.
I'm kinda glad that I wake up each day in a different mood and thinking differently. It makes me know that everything, including the interpretation of most fact and universal views, is in your view point. Nobody knows anything! (Especially not me)
(I also find different things beautiful and have the patience to appreciate them)

..opening up to people doesn't seem to work - they don't wanna know and I've got too many little worries that will bother them.

smiley - hug
'till next time
smiley - smiley
Thanks

liff

Post 20

wildiris

i did interact more with people this week...im mad at myself right now that i didnt take the opportunity to communicate with this guy that comes into my work that had tickets to see the red hot chili peppers at a cottage beside his house...he gave them to people that dont really like them, and i love them...but alas im not going...just the realization that it really is who you know, and lately i dont know many people....jealousy is that one of the negative things we were talking about smiley - winkeye noticed that i dont have very good direction right now and need to contemplate that issue, that thing about trying to start a conversation and it seemed untrue, i understand that, it happens you dont have to talk or be around people that will have a negative influence on you, but sometimes your feelings about people can be wrong, but not always....last night i yelled at a guy that i know has been living his life in a bottle, and using others....i wouldnt have done it if i hadnt have had a couple of drinks myself, but i had to express the fact that i have been watching him bum and borrow from everyone around, and the help me sustain my existence thing wasnt working....that he can create alot of enemies that way...i cant continue to be an observer in life...have to learn to participate probably said that before...well enough jabbering about myself....the problem is that we have to be consumed by the negativity in the world...the way that the world is...ads, conveniences, we are a bunch of spoiled brats...think of the days without tech. which was only 120 years ago, and how far the human race has done sooo much damage in that amount of time...its all for our convenience but we wouldnt be talking right now if it wasnt for this tech. well i gotta go sorry for all the negative stuff...we cant be happy all the time, but we can smile love wildiris i will try out this talking to people thing again this week, will also get control of my life...as much as i can

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for wildiris

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more