A Conversation for 'Carmina Burana' - Drink, Sex and Medieval Monks

last time i performed this......

Post 1

FABT - new venture A815654 Angel spoiler page

come on, everyone add your stories.....

Post 2

Not Shakespeare

Well... the first time I sang this, the small choir I was with couldn't afford the whole Orchestra. There is a reduction for 2 grand pianos and percussion that we used. Interesting, but imperfect.

The next two times I sang it, were with the Mendelssohn Club of Philadelphia (now in its 128th continuous season). We were hired by the Philadelphia Orchestra. It was great! The piece is very difficult for singers because of the rhythm and quick tempos. The harmonics are usually very simple, but sometimes unexpected.

Post 3

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

I shall be performing this next Saturday in a choir of just over 200 voices. I'm also in the 'coro piccolo', singing with about 20 people in the quieter bits. It's a completely crazy piece to sing, particularly 'in taverna quando sumus' (the drinking song) with all its words and 'Blanziflor et Helena' whichc limbs to the dizzy heights of a sustained high B flat, which means you really have to crank yourself up to get it. Ouch, ouch, ouch!

But wonderful fun. Will report back after the concert.

Post 4

Realised I didn't report back. The concert was fab, and it got very exciting towards the end when the sheer volume caused the staging to vibrate! The orchestra smiley - yikes - almost as many of them as in the choir! Loked it smiley - biggrin

Post 5

Or 'loved it' smiley - flustered

Post 6

Gnomon - time to move on

smiley - cheers

Post 7

Not Shakespeare

I'm going to perform this again! The chorus I've just re-joined is performing it at the end of March.

I'm looking forward to it... again!

Post 8

Gnomon - time to move on

Last night! A great performance in the National Concert Hall, Dublin. We sang it in the second half of the concert, doing the Kodaly Missa Brevis for voices and organ in the first half as a complete contrast.

We'd a full house and everybody really enjoyed the Carmina Burana (not sure exactly what they thought of the Kodaly).

Key: Complain about this post