A Conversation for Talking Point: Is the Digital Age Lowering the Cultural Value of Music?

I don't download music

Post 1

Apollyon - Grammar Fascist

I've heard too many horror stories about music downloads being full of viruses and spyware to risk downloading anything. Also, I don't trust the Internet with my money. (Qualification - I don't trust any electronic device other than an ATM with my money. Hence, I will never own a credit or debit card).

To go off on a tangent, I have never had a virus on any PC or laptop I have ever used. This gives me cause to wonder why Macolytes keep harping on about how much safer Macs are. Personally, I think that most computer users are idiots who have no real idea about the scale of malware, and are thus willing to download from any reputable-looking site regardless of whether they are running Mac OS, Windows, Linux, or soemthing else (note: I've deliberately omitted Unix from the list because all Unix users are hyper-geniuses who would never fall for this. And no, I don't use Unix myself). They all get roughly the same amount of viruses, but since those viruses are invariably targeted at Microsoft, it's only the Windows users that suffer.

Anyway...that second paragraph was totally pointless to this discussion, and was just something that had been bugging me for a bit. However, I do think I have pretty well explained why I never download music off the net.

I don't download music

Post 2

kea ~ Far out in the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy lies a small, unregarded but very well read blue and white website

Are you saying that macs get windows viruses too but aren't affected by them? smiley - huh

I download all sorts of stuff and not even always from reputable sites, but can't say I've noticed any problems with the mac as a result smiley - ok

I don't download music

Post 3

hartford500

I think Mac just has better security than windows.

I don't download music

Post 4

Doctor_X_42

It all depends what you're running, and where you go on the internet.
I'm using a Windows with Google Chrome as my web browser, and I haven't had any trouble with downloads since I switched from Internet Explorer.

I don't download music

Post 5

andyd-185

i am also using chrome, mainly cos it's faster and easier to use (and free smiley - ok )

i don't download music, not sure why but i just prefer CD's, it seems better to get a CD from amazon rather than download, just because it gives me a greater feeling of owning it. also if my laptop does get a virus, which has never done, my entire music collection wont get lost in cyberspace.

I don't download music

Post 6

jyotsnapathania

I listen to yahoo radio on line, or youtube old songs of users, music is fun , I listen to languages other than in english too, without ever downloading, feeling music cant be possessed, i may try learning to sing the melodies or tunes , but when it is all time freely online why download?smiley - smiley

I don't download music

Post 7

andyd-185

cos if its online then you cant upload it to an MP3 player.

Music on the move smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post