A Conversation for The Act of Settlement 1701

Does the Act of Settlement contravene the Declaration of Human Rights?

Post 1

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

It sounds like it probably does. I'm not a British subject, so it doesn't really affect me. I'd be concerned about someone bringing a law suit in an international court about who could be my head of state. It's not a huge step from there to having the EU saying who your head of state shall be.

Post 2

Alighieri

Banning Catholics from the Succession (along with adopted children and illegitimates) is completely unacceptable in the modern world. These rules have evolved over time and changing them again won't stop the world revolving.

English Parliament has to do it though.
If the EU gets involved then most British will scream 'back off Brussels' and fair enough too.
If the press leads the charge it all too soon gets hijacked by idiots who want republics (and the massive - and thus dangerous - constitutional amendements that brings) and elected heads of state (anyone care for President Richard Branson??).

Post 3

combattant pour liberte

Yup. The Universal Declaration of Human Rights, as well as the European Convention on Human Rights and the UK Human Rights Act all outlaw discrimination on the basis of religion. (Which means ajudge could probably overturn the Act of Settlement under the Human Rights Act).

Post 4

Nosebagbadger {Ace}

I would expect the autonomy that applies to EU country government would hold precedence.

More interestingly, generally to demand a law suit, you have to prove that you are suffering from the legislation. If that holds up, then only an heir (or possibly their soon to be other half), about to convert or marry a non-protestant, would be in any position to make such a claim.

Post 5

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

It appears to be a non issue now that the Succession to the Crown Act of 2013 struck a blow for the equality of royalty.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Succession_to_the_Crown_Act_2013

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more