A Conversation for Healthy Snacks

Houmous

Post 1

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

delicious with pitta bread or toast (no butter or marge, mind!)

Houmous

Post 2

Indefatigable

I love that stuff. I usually see it spelled 'hummus'. It can also be 'hommos' or 'hummous' or 'hoummos'. But not 'humus', because that mans dirt.

Houmous

Post 3

Indefatigable

Should have said 'that MEANS dirt'. I shouldn't not preview when I'm this tired.

Houmous

Post 4

Gwennie

I've recently introduced my teenage daughter to hummus who is now addicted and the pair of us usually demolish a small tub each by dunking rice cakes (no margarine of course!) in it. smiley - biggrin

Unfortunately, my hubby who hates garlic gets annoyed at the smell that emanates from us (and the fridge) during our snack fest. smiley - erm

Have you tried tahini (the main ingredient in hummus) on its own or mixed with Natex (a low salt yeast extract) on toast? It's yummy! smiley - tongueout

Houmous

Post 5

annie the great

The main ingredient in houmous IS NOT Tahini - the main ingredient in houmous are cooked chickpeas. If the main ingredient was tahini, it would be a lot fattier than it is, because tahini is made out of sesame seeds, which are full of fat. There is tahini in it but you can make it without tahini and it is almost as good.

Houmous

Post 6

Gwennie

I stand (or sit as in my case) corrected Annie. smiley - bigeyes I should have said that tahini is "one" of the main (and my favourite) ingredients in hummus. smiley - biggrin

Despite their high calorie and fat content, sesame seeds are an excellent source of calcium, so they're far from "empty" calories. smiley - ok

Houmous

Post 7

Conceited Little Megapuppy - Inbound traveller and Unas Matriarch

I rarely have houmous without cucumber crudités - a marvellous combination of crunchyness and creaminess. Raw carrot is good for this too - in fact I find the two work together even better than cucumber, but I'm more likely to have cucumber in the fridge than carrots at any one time.

For a light lunch, houmous, cucumber/carrot/both and plain/wholemeal pitta bread (no butter/marge) are brilliant. Houmous is also nice on hot toast (again, no butter/marge as you really don't need it).

smiley - dog

Houmous

Post 8

John the gardener says, "Free Tibet!"

Once, a tired and irritable gardener sent his lovely and talented summer helper away to buy lunch, and it was with hummus that she returned, clever girl. Lunch that day (a hot one) consisted of the aforementioned, pieces of flatbread, and olives. Super. smiley - ok

JTG

Houmous

Post 9

Just zis Guy, you know? † Cyclist [A690572] :: At the 51st centile of ursine intelligence

Oh, yes - raw carrot dipped in houmous. Yum! Don't like tahini overmuch on its own, and although we've tried garlic-free houmous it's not very nice. Best bet is get your bloke a clothes peg for his nose, I reckon.

Houmous

Post 10

John, did I ever ask you if your handle is inspired by Chance-the-gardner?

Houmous

Post 11

smiley - laugh

Yes, it probably is... subconsciously, at least.

Houmous

Post 12

U2144927

Drawing in dirt is an excellent way to encourage understanding smiley - winkeye

Houmous

Post 13

Sharing lunch is a better way. smiley - winkeye

Houmous

Post 14

U2144927

smiley - smiley Absolutely! Carrots dipped in humous with a little bit of humour added for good measure.

Houmous

Post 15

Mmmm, delicious! Humour should be a part of every meal plan. smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post