A Conversation for Tea

milk, before or after

Post 1

Jenny and Fred the cheese

so why does it actually taste exactly the same?

Subjective tastes.

Post 2

Sean

Probably for the same reason that Smarties all taste the same, regardless of colour.

(Except perhaps orange ones).

milk, before or after

Post 3

Evilist

There is a far more bitter taste when the milk has been scalded, i.e. milk in after the tea. The tea must be brewed sufficiently to ensure the flavours are at their height. The cold milk should then be poured into a bone china teacup with the tea after to maximise the taste and minimise the effect of the scalded milk taste caused by cold milk being poured into hot tea.

milk, before or after

Post 4

what if your only making one cup and can't be bothered to make a pot, how are you supposed to put the milk in first then?

milk, before or after

Post 5

Chewy

The actual reason for pouring the tea in first is this:
Back in hte olden days (let's say victorian times, or something) people would hold afternoon tea parties, as a matter of course.
It was a sign of class, and breeding, and so forth, to have fine china (amongst other things).
Therefore, to prove the quality of one's china, you would pour the tea in first, proving it could take the raw heat.
Do you see?

Take two :-)

Post 6

Sean

Use two cups. Put the bag in one, add boiling water. While it's brewing, add milk to the second cup. Remove teabag. Pour contents of first cup into second. Wipe down kitchen counter. Enjoy tea.

Subjective tastes.

Post 7

Evilist

It is a proven fact that all smarties tase of orange. That is why I hate them. Evn the blue ones are ornage flavourd. Try them next time you see them. Then you will know i am right

milk, before or after

Post 8

Beerboy

Milk should always be after, I think.
If you pour the milk into a cup with a teabag in it and then leave it to brew, all the fat particles in the milk block the holes in the teabag and stop it brewing(dull, but true). Should you wash out the pot?. I had a friend who thought you should never wasj it out, then the flavour becomes ingrained in the pot. Is that true, or is he just a savage of a man?

Take two :-)

Post 9

an excelent idea, now all i have to do is find 2 mugs smiley - smiley

milk, before or after

Post 10

Whizabiz

It's true! the tea tastes better if you have one pot for each flavor you brew. Also--don't pour hot tea into china to prove it's toughness. Really good china is thin enough that it will crack from the heat and then the owner of said china will ground you for quite a while.

milk, before or after

Post 11

Burney 47059

I quite honestly never knew this, but I can concur, the tea does taste much better. Also with Earl Grey the subtle taste is not drowned by the insepid scalded milk. I must also agree that thick china is a good idea!

milk, before or after

Post 12

Gaz

YE gods!!!! milke before or after, tastes the same?? Surely you jest!

When you put the milk in first, the teabag (assuming we are using a teabag) sees the liquid and tries to release it`s glorious essence into it. However, as it is milk, this clogs up the teabag and therefore war commences! The tea, in vain, tries to flavour the milk and even succeeds slightly, but it is not to be. For even as the tea tries to mumble the spells of mixing, the milk just clogs up the teabag, rendering it useless.

When the hot-water finally splashes into the cup, the tea can be released, but it is not the same, it is not as effective...it is a dead tea. And a dead tea is not a tasty cup of tea.

So heed these words and remember their meaning. Tea goes in AFTER the water...follow this and your tea shall be forever to your tastiness.

wrong words!!

Post 13

Gaz

Sorry, forgive me..in my hastiness to post the words about milk and tea, I meant..milk should go in AFTER the water, not the tea. Please, I ask for thy apologies!!!

after always after

Post 14

So Long and Thanks for all the Fish(Deceased)

I the ultimate and admitably very strange so long and thanks for all the fish do it in this order.
1:boil water and add tea bag to mug
2:wonder around the kitchen for 3-4 minuets befor working out the kettle isn't acctually on.
3:turn on the kettle
4:wait for two minuets while the water boils
5:pour just boild water into mug
6:add the milk(the new green bottle the old ones gone off)
7:stir for 35 seconds
8:take out tea bag
9:drink

Cris(a compleat git) sez he may not be Fred flinstone but...oh he's fogoten the punch line.(ha ha)

reboiling the kettle

Post 15

Stumpy

No don't reboil the kettle (as described in the article) If you do that then you de-gas the water and the tea tastes really bland.
Warm the pot with water from the kettle before it boils.
Mark

reboiling the kettle

Post 16

the kettle wasn't on in the first place.

Cup or pot

Post 17

Rojo Habe (48-1+2-7)

It should be noted that making tea in a cup or mug is a very tricky business, requires great skill and should only be attempted in a tea emergency. Or when you're at work.

Pour boiling water onto the teabag. Throw it away. Get a fresh teabag and put it in a cup or mug this time. Pour boiling water onto the teabag in the cup or mug. Leave to stand for approximately one minute. Any longer than this will result in scum forming on the surface. This is the trickiest bit, as the time interval can vary depending on the brand of teabag. Practice makes perfect.

After the specified minute (depending on brand), pour the milk in slowly and leave to brew for a further three minutes. Again, certain experimentation is required to get the exact time period right.

After brewing, stir twice and lift the teabag out with the spoon. Poke the teabag with your index finger, folding the edges up, then gently squeeze it before discarding. Care must be taken to perform this step in one swift fluid motion or burning of the finger can occur.

Be especially careful to keep your fingers clean, and clear of any bodily orifices before embarking on a tea-in-the-cup making operation, particularly if you're making it for someone other than yourself.

milk, before or after

Post 18

Whatever

I always understood that etiquette said that milk went in first...and I remember some TV programme years ago when some tea taster from Liptons or Brooke Bond or somewhere said that the reason was that the milk diffused the heat of the tea and therefore prevented the delicate china from cracking. He also said that you should clean out your teapot because of the accumulation of tannins etc made the tea get more bitter.

reboiling the kettle

Post 19

I like tea but...

I mean...

Has anyone actually done controlled (double-blind) experiments investigating the milk-before-or-after question? If not... I'm not gonna believe a word anyone's saying... it sounds a little bit too much like superstition to me.

reboiling the kettle

Post 20

yay we have a cinic!!!!!!!

Key: Complain about this post