A Conversation for Heroquest - The Boardgame

A678521 - Start of Warhammer craze

Post 1

Tally

This is an article I would like to see edited. Any comments???

Post 2

DoctorGonzo

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A678521

Post 3

DoctorGonzo

I remember Heroquest - excellent game, the only problem was trying to teach my younger brother how to play, when all he wanted to do was, well, 'play'.

Before this is picked for inclusion in the guide, it does need, in my opinion, a little improvement. Your title is a little clunky - maybe it would be better if the entry was called 'Heroquest - The Board Game' or something similar. Perhaps a good idea would be to look at an entry such as this one: http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A539570 on Space Crusade, to see what sort of a structure would be suitable.

There's the start of a good entry in here, Tally, and I hope you can improve it. It would be great to see it in the guide smiley - smiley

Post 4

Tally

I've adapted this article a bit. So u may want to have another look at it

Post 5

Silverfish

I think this needs quite a bit of work, before I think it would be ready for editing.

Firstly, it might be worth saying a bit about warhammer, as without that saying that Heroquest started the warhammer craze doesn't mean very much.

In the aim of the game section you are fairly vague. Perhaps you could give an idea of what a typical level might involve. From playing the computer game I remember there was some sort of quest (find the treasure, or kill the evil wizard sort of thing, or just find an exit).

You mention skaven, which would mean nothing to those who don't know about warhammer.

I think that Warhammer quest was based on Heroquest. It certainly includes the same 4 main characters, and some of the campaign packs seem to be based on some of the levels in Heroquest, although Warhammer quest disposed of the need for a Warlord, by having fixing rules about how monsters moved, and about the layout of the dungeon (determined by cards), and things like that. I suspect from your description that it was based on Advanced Heroquest, rather than the original.

Also, the heroes would not know what the layout of the dungeon was, only the Warlord knew (he would have a map, and would also know the location of traps and treasure, and things like that).

I also have a feeling Heroquest was probably aimed more at the mainstream games market, wereas Advanced Heroquest sounds more like the sort of thing for the more 'hardcore' wargamer, or roleplayer. It is hard to imagine a 100 page rule book appealing to the mass market. That could also explain the idea of collecting models for it, which is more like what happens with wargames than the more traditional mass market board games, where you would get all the figures in the box. However, I am not sure on this. I vageuly remember adverts on TV for heroquest, which is more typical for mass market board games.

Finally, I don't think that having purple text is a good idea.

Post 6

Hiram Abif (aka Chuang Tzu's Pancreas)

I am a disillusioned Warhammer fan... I loved the game, but hated buying a new set of rules every few months... Skaven and Tyranid were my armies... anyway was heroquest released in the states as "Talisman"? because it sure sounds like the same game... I never got into that but I love the huge modelled battlefields that it evolved into with Warhammer battles.... and frankly that is what I thought this entry was going to be about... oh well, it does say "start" of the craze.....

Post 7

Silverfish

Hiram Arif -

It seems from the decriptions of Talisman, that it is a different game. Aparently Talisman involves being dealt a character card to determine your character, which I don't think happens in Heroquest. Also the characters include a Soceress, not one of the Characters from Heroquest, for example, and there appear to be quite a few other differences. Also there appeasr to be a game called Talisman in the UK too, where Heroquest was also released, so it seems likely that the American Talisman game is the same as the British one, and that Heroquest and Talisman are different games.

Tally - I think the name should be Heroquest - The board game, or something like that, rather than Heroquest - By games workshop, as probably quite a few people won't have heard of Games Worhkshop. Also, it might be worth posting another conversations thread, with the new title of the entry, as probably more people will have heard of Heroquest than Warhammer, and the title is misleading as it is now.

Post 8

Hiram Abif (aka Chuang Tzu's Pancreas)

more people have heard of Heroquest than Warhammer? I can't see how that is... maybe I'm a bit daft but as I recall Warhammer is *huge* in several countries and I've never heard of Heroquest before... is Heroquest still being made? If not how long has it been since it was last produced?

However I do agree that the title is misleading as the entry really isn't about Warhammer.....

Post 9

Tally

Right. I have read your comments and I am about to work on the article. I will start a new conversation thread once I'm ready. I will try to explain the game with more detail so as not to be confused with Talisman.Thanx all.

Post 10

Gnomon - time to move on

Hi Tally!

It's great to see you writing an entry and submitting it for Peer Review. This entry needs more work, but don't be put off. It is worth doing. You will feel a lot better when you get the entry finished and accepted! Here are some suggestions how you might improve it.

Get rid of the funny colours. Some people use Alabaster to look at h2g2 while others use Classic Goo. If you pick your own colours, it won't look good for everyone. If you leave the colours at their defaults, they will look readable for everybody, if not as exciting as Magenta text.

You don't give any dates for this game. When did the Warhammer craze start? About 1980, if I remember right. Or do you mean a more recent upsurge in interest in Warhammer?

Keep up the good work!

Here

Post 11

Tally

Tally-Oh

Post 12

Silverfish

Hiram Arif - Just to clear things up. I am not saying Warhammer isn't big, as it seems to be quite successful here the UK, but I suspect that it is less likely for people who do not play it, or are wargamers, to have heard of it, whereas I suspect that Heroquest might be something that more people might have vaguely heard of it who haven't played the game. However, I don't know much about how well known either game is outside the UK (in particular England), and I might be completely wrong in my intuitions here. Anyway, I don't want to get into an argument over this, but I just thought you should know where I'm coming from. Tally - One of the other scouts has reccomended that this thread is moved from Peer Review, now you've have posted another thread, with a more appropriate title. The new thread is at http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/F48874?thread=161600&skip=0&show=20.

Thread Moved

Post 13

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review' to 'Peer Review Sin Bin'. Hi there, This thread has been moved because there's another PR thread at http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/F48874?thread=161600

Thread Moved

Post 14

Tally

ok

Thread Moved

Post 15

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review Sin Bin' to 'Heroquest - The Boardgame'.

Back to Entry - became A742790 HeroQuest - the Boardgame

Key: Complain about this post