A Conversation for Advice on Coming Out

Coming out can be slow!

Post 1

erostratus

My best piece of advice is to come out slowly. I came out five years ago, and I did it over a six-month period.

I told a very good school friend, and then some others. I made sure that the first couple of people I told were not religious types and unlikely to be gossips.

About four months later I told the most liberal aunt in the family, and asked her advice. She helped me arrange a weekend when my Dad could visit his family, leaving my mother and I alone. I had friends call three times that day to remind me of the reasons I wanted to come out. Principally these all came down to a desire for honesty.

My mom freaked out. I spent the night at a friend's. This was the smartest thing about my coming out: I did it during summer break. So life could stand still while I sorted things out. I told my Dad the next night (he had returned); he really freaked out. So I spent the next three nights away from home.

At first, I didn't tell them that I'd lost my faith. I didn't tell them that I was sexually active. I told them that I was planning a celibate life, which, due to their extreme need for comfort, they believed.

You don't have to tell your parents everything right away. It took you quite a while to decide to come out, give your parents time to adapt. Give yourself time to adapt.

Five years later, my parents and I are better off than we've ever been. I can be honest with them, and though I know they are frequently uncomfortable with my choices, I know they love me.

Coming out can be slow!

Post 2

Hx2

You mention religious types, but one of the first people I told is a religious type, and she was absolutely fine about it.

I suppose by 'religious types' you mean people along the lines of Pat Robertson...

h

Coming out can be slow!

Post 3

erostratus

Yeah, I mostly mean people along the lines of Pat Robertson, but I think it's probably wise to avoid religious types altogether at the very first. Even the most liberal-seeming of them can really tweak out unexpectedly on this subject.

But, then again, so can the most liberal-seeming of atheists. I guess just be careful, you want your first coming out to be a soft one; something that gives you comfort, not something that stirs up more turbulence.

Coming out can be slow!

Post 4

Hx2

I absolutely agree. I suppose this is why a many people tell other gay people first - because they know that the hurdle of 'is this person OK with it?' doesn't need to be jumped!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more