A Conversation for Preparation of Cold Meats and Teatime Fare

good lashing wi' t'tongue

Post 1

AgProv2

are you entirely sure about availability of tongue? Rolled and boiled tongue still appears to be available from old-time butchers in the North of England and bordering areas - saw it on sale at a butchers' stall in Wrexham Market recently, and also in Halifax. There's an old-time pork butchers not far from where I live (Stockport) that will sell it to you.

I guess the key phrase here is "old-time". tongue, like haslet, appears to be one of those meats that have fallen out of favour with a younger customer-base, who might perhaps see it associated with wartime rationing, post-war shortages, and general poverty they don't want to be associated with: for the same reason, older people favour it as a taste they grew up with. Is it also associated more with the North? (sightings in Wrexham notwithstanding - but Flintshire/Maelor is an extension into Wales of the North Cheshire industrial belt).

A shame as I quite like it myself - and haslet - but I suspect that like spam and even corned beef, it's spurned by under-forties as a food tainted by poverty and want.

Key: Complain about this post

good lashing wi' t'tongue

More Conversations for Preparation of Cold Meats and Teatime Fare

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more