A Conversation for Emma, Lady Hamilton: The Early Years

Fascinating

Post 1

aka Bel - A87832164

Great entry. I did wonder, though, why Emma's mother changed her name when she went to live with Emma in London. Do you know? Did she fear fro her reputation?

Fascinating

Post 2

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

It was loosely thought that Emma's mother might have been rather friendly with the gents herself smiley - winkeye

She lived in London for many years, never far from Emma.

Emma seems to use her name/s rather like a stage name. Which might be why she used her legitimate name in the marriage register.

Thanks for taking the time to read it, Bel smiley - smoochsmiley - hug

Fascinating

Post 3

aka Bel - A87832164

It was a fascinating read. smiley - hug Oh, and I guess she had to use her real name for the marriage, or else it wouldn't have been valid. Only this afternoon I listened to David Copperfield, and part of it was about a man who had married giving only part of his name, and when he wanted to get rid of his wife a year later, he claimed the marriage wasn't valid because he hadn't given his full name. smiley - winkeye

Fascinating

Post 4

What a terrible trick.. Rather like Mick Jagger saying his marriage to Jerry Hall wasn't legal, because it wasn't registered in this country! smiley - yikes

Fascinating

Post 5

aka Bel - A87832164

yes, such behaviour is just mean.

Fascinating

Post 6

On that note, I think I must away to bed, hunny smiley - smooch

Goodnight love. Sleep tight when you go smiley - cuddle

Fascinating

Post 7

aka Bel - A87832164

I'm way past my bedtime, so will go now, too. Goodnight, love, sleep tight. smiley - hugsmiley - smooch

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more