A Conversation for What happens at the speed of light?

correction

Post 1

Wal

"When a space ship approaches the speed of light its mass increases. Also it will appear to shorten and time will slow down."

From an external observer's view point, the ship's mass will indeed increase. A clock on the space ship will appear to slow down, too.
However, the space-ship itself will appear to *lengthen* rather than shorten.

I'll explain:
From the ship's view point, the time taken to travel 1 mile at 90% light speed is less than half that taken when travelling at 45% light speed. This is due to time-dilation. (Think - the pilot will spend less time than expected travelling the distance, so will age less.)

This means that when looking out of the ship's window, space will appear to have compressed. Otherwise the sums do not add up.
In turn, this means that the ship's size, relative to an external mile has increased (the "mile" has decreased in length relative to the ship's length), so an external observer will see the ship as lengthened.

correction

Post 2

Professor Sarah Bellum

Can I ask where you found the information to this correction please because it is incorrect.
Space and objects will appear to compress to the observer on the ship since they are moving relative to him. The ship will appear to compress to the stationary observer because the ship is moving relative to him.
If you are saying this is where the sum don't add up, then it's just the way it is and proabably why it's called 'relativity'. Don't forget you can't really use ordinary maths and science to explain this since at high velocity and gravity they break down.
Does this make sense. I'd like to know since answering questions it what I'm doing here.

correction

Post 3

Keith12345

what you, sarah posted is incorrect and wal was correct according to Stevin Hawkings anyway who is a genius with a IQ of over 200. Now if you are an undiscovered genius who is more intelligent than Steven Hawkings then please correct me if otherwise then please admit that even if Steven Hawkings on his own may be incorrect then you have to remember that a large number of other intelligent scientists believe this too. Get told Prof. Sarah!!!!

correction

Post 4

Professor Sarah Bellum

I'm going to ask again where you found your information. I have now double checked mine and and object moving close to the speed of light will appear to shorten. The "Doring Kinderley Eyewitness Guide to Time & Space" clearly explains this. "Mr. Tompkins in Paperback" just as clearly explains it.
If you still don't believe me why don't you check these books and if you still disagree either give me your source or Professor Hawking's phone number and he'll settle it for us.

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for What happens at the speed of light?

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more