This is the Message Centre for Giford

No Subject

Post 1

royalrcrompton

Hi Gif

I've just today come back onto the forum after a seven month's hiatus. Hard to believe that the "Second Coming" thread is still going strong, though much of what I read in the entries over the last two weeks offers little intelligent discussion/argument. Too bad, since there were a lot of interesting perspectives posted at the beginning of the year.

In early May I was diagnosed with prostate cancer following a spiked PSA reading and the subsequent prostate biopsy. The urologist recommended surgery to remove the gland was my best option and so I agreed. They injected me with a hormone in mid June to stop any spread of the cancer but unfortunately the side effects produced sudden hot flushes comparable to a menopausal woman. I have new respect for the distaff side after experiencing such wild hormonal "see-sawing." Also, this lone injection has reduced me to eunuch status, though there is some hope that a normal sex drive could re-establish itself in the the ensuing weeks (fingers crossed). The operation took place on July 28 with the result that the tumour was wholly confined to the prostate. It looks like I may be home free. I just need quarterly PSA tests over the next year to prove success or failure.

I don't know if you have annual prostate examinations/PSA testing but
if not, do yourself a favour and get them. 1 in 6 men will wind up with PC before age 65. Those who ignore the obvious symptoms may be setting themslves up for disaster. Early detection (before the cancer breaks through the prostate wall)generally promises eradication.

Cheers
Rick

No Subject

Post 2

Giford

Hi Rick,

Sorry to hear you haven't been well, it must have been pretty worrying for you, so I'm glad to hear it seems to be heading your way.

I have a few years yet before I hit 65, I'm more in the age range to be worrying about testicular cancer if anything (it's my Dad's 60th this weekend, if that gives you a rough idea). But I'll add it to the list of vague worries at the back of my mind that I should do something about some day...

Gif smiley - geek

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for Giford

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more