A Conversation for An introduction to coarse fishing

A650099 - An Introduction to Coarse Fishing

Post 1

Otter - Itinerant maggot drowner and guardian of the machine that goes BING!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A650099
Sorry! screwed up the last attempt. Anyway as I said in the last attempt,this is my first effort at writing an entry. I would welcome any comments or advice with regard to this entry. I really must concentrate a bit harder on what I am doing! I could not find any other entries on this subject, and as it is a popular passtime I thought an entry should be included. Respect. Ottersmiley - biggrin

Post 2

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

Hi, Otter!

That explains why, when I tried to look at it, I couldn't, but I had a quick look via the search facility.

I have to say that I know little or nothing about the subject, but I wonder whether you might say a little in the introduction about what coarse fishing is? I think it might be something that isn't fly fishing or sea fishing? Is there a better definition than that?

I'll have a closer look a little later.smiley - smiley

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Post 3

Sue

That may be a point - perhaps a small overview of the species of fish one is hoping to catch and a note that these are all returned to the water rather than kept and eaten may help to clarify?

There are a couple of minor typos - metres not meters and getting started should not all be in caps - very minor things.

An excellent entry Otter - especially as a first attempt smiley - smiley

Post 4

smiley - ok Thanks for the advice both of you! I've made a few (hopefully) improvements to the entry, and think it reads a bit better now. keep the constructive criticism coming ( I can take it!smiley - winkeye). I'm already thinking about profiling some of the species of fish mentioned in the entry, along with baits, habitats, and methods of catching them. I will post them up as soon as they are done, but don't hold your breath as they may take a bit of time to sort out. I'm amazed no-one else has thought of it before. Check ya soon. Ottersmiley - biggrin

Post 5

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

couple of typos:
spaces should go before '(' and after ')'
'Tench, perch, and Chub' - should be all lowercase
'as a peice of flake' - piece
'it's attraction' - its
'good Carp bait' - carp

I'm under the impression that catching fish actually does hurt them, so it boils down to having pleasure at their cost. If you're going to kill and eat them then so be it. Well, I'm digressing... as this is not the place for discussing morals.

Great stuff, and definitely Guide bound smiley - ok!

Post 6

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

Roach should be roach,
other than that I think it's great and ripe for the picking

Post 7

Sue

Ditto the above. Hopefully a scout will come along & recommend it soon.

smiley - schooloffish

Post 8

deackie

smiley - ok Great entry smiley - smiley

Post 9

Charlie Mouse

Nice, clear, readable entry

a couple of factual points: The NRA was merged into the Environment Agency a few years ago. Now you need to apply for an Environment Agency Rod Licence. This only applies to England and Wales. I'm not sure what happens in Scotland, but the Scottish Executive web site might help. In Northern Ireland I suspect the Rivers Agency is responsible, a visit to www.dardni.gov.uk might help.

I don't think it is correct to say

"Some people would like to see fishing banned as a cruel sport,so every angler has a responsibility to the fish, and the environment."

I think every angler carries these responsibilities in any case. It might be interesting to look at the argument for banning fishing - is it really cruel?

CM

Post 10

You're right about the environment agency, so i've also included a link to their website which gives much more information than just fishing licences. I do think it is correct to make the statement that you quoted, because I have had a discussion with a member of one of the Essex hunts who told me that I was just as cruel as he was. As you can imagine I was rather annoyed at being lumped in with people who persue a solitary fox with a large number of mounted so called gentry and a pack of dogs. The fox has no choice as to whether it is chased or not, and when it is caught invariably it is torn to pieces by the pack and killed.
On the other hand , it is me alone trying to catch fish out of a lake. The fish in the lake have a choice as to whether they pick up my bait or not ( and beleive me sometimes they most certainly do not!)
Once the fish is landed I treat it with the utmost respect, handle it very gently, and return it to it's home immediately. I wonder who is the most cruel?(I don't think it's me ). Besides this person was actually admitting that fox hunting was cruel. I object strongly to being tarred with the same brush, and if people want to ban fishing, then it is their right to try. However as a considerably larger number of people indulge in fishing than fox hunting, I feel it would be virtually impossible to ban it.
O.K. Rant over. this will probably generate some lively discussion, but that's what we're here for is it not? Respect C.M. smiley - peacesignsmiley - biggrin Otter.

Post 11

Henry

Well done Otter, a nice entry.
Speaking as an occasional angler (about once every 2 years) I have qualms about hooking fish. The argument that they don't feel pain is invalid - fish have nervous systems for a reason. So I think your advice about barbless hooks and basic respect is sound. I have yet to come to terms with causing animals pain for my own enjoyment, but almost certainly disaprove. My brother-in-law is a fishing nut, and I have to go along with him occasionally (as mentioned). I usually try to cast so hard that my bait comes off, leaving me to sit in peace, open a beer and have a quiet smoke in the sunshine.
To me, and I suspect a lot of others, angling is an excuse to sit outside for hours on end and not look too weird.

This needs to go in the guide.
Frogbit.

Thread Moved

Post 12

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review' to 'An introduction to coarse fishing'.

This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review Forum because your entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

You can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.h2g2.com/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!

Thread Moved

Post 13

Charlie Mouse

Well done Otter!

Thread Moved

Post 14

Sue

Hurrah! smiley - cool

Well done smiley - biggrin

CONGRATULATIONS

Post 15

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

*grumbles*
They always get here before I do!!!

Congratulations Otter, this entry has been selected for the edited guide. It will shortly be sent to a sub editor for a final bit of spit and polish, and eventually end up on the front page
(and I do mean eventually!)

CONGRATULATIONS

Post 16

deackie

smiley - bubbly Well done Otter smiley - smiley

CONGRATULATIONS

Post 17

Henry

smiley - stiffdrinkWell done Otter.

Humble Thanks

Post 18

Just a quick word of appreciation for all your support.
Ta V much smiley - peacesignsmiley - biggrin Otter.

Key: Complain about this post