A Conversation for The Rise and Fall Of The Monty Python Empire

Flea Market: A645202 - The Rise and Fall Of The Monty Python Empire

Post 1

Monty Python

http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A645202

A645202 - The Rise and Fall Of The Monty Python Empire

Post 2

Orcus

Hi Monty Python - you have certainly chosen your subject well I must say. smiley - ok
Surely the Cheese Shop is in the Third series. John Cleese is on record as saying that was the only original sketch they did in that series and that was one of the reasons he left.

The article is unfortunately very hard to read as it's just one big blick of text and for me, to get into the guide there is just soooo much more that could be said.

Basically, nice start but a much more thorough article is needed to get into the edited guide - in my opinion.

Orcus

Post 3

Whisky

Why no one's written an entry on Monty Python before is beyond me...
But I'm afraid I'm going to agree with Orcus, what you've written so far is very good, but IMHO it needs to go deeper... not even a mention for the poor dead parrot? smiley - winkeye

smiley - cheers

keep writing, I love the subject matter of this one

whisky

Post 4

vogonpoet (AViators at A13264670)

Post 5

Will Of God

I have to agree that this article is in need of much more material. How can the Guide in sound mind and body provide any entry on MP other than a complete and total one... there would be a revolt! smiley - smiley

Post 6

FABT - new venture A815654 Angel spoiler page

And the ministry of silly walks must surely deserve a mention. thats monty python isnt it? or am i hallucinating again

FABT

Post 7

Danny B

Ministry of Silly Walks is indeed Monty Python!

A couple of comments/corrections on the article:

The first episode of Python was recorded/shown in 1969, although the idea may well have been developed in1968!
Michael Palin was in 'Do Not Adjust Your Set', as was Terry Jones (but not Terry Gilliam).
The 'Spam' sketch was in the second series, not the third.
The first three series each had 13 episodes.
I don't think you can say that Graham Chapman's death was the reason for the break-up of Python, as they hadn't really done anything together as 'Python' since 'Meaning of Life' in 1983 (and the 'Hollywood Bowl' film was released the year before: 1982)

I'm glad that someone's doing a Python article though. Keep it up! smiley - ok

PS. What do we have to forgive them for..? smiley - erm

Post 8

Danny B

Just a thought, Monty Python, but perhaps 'Python' would make a good University entry. I'm sure there's enough to write about to have separate pages on the TV series, the films, each Python, things they did before & after Python etc. etc. If it sounds like a lot of work, I'm sure you'd get plenty of volunteers to help out! smiley - smiley

Post 9

FABT - new venture A815654 Angel spoiler page

An appreciated addition would be the words to some of the songs. Is this infringment of copyright though?

FABT

Post 10

aliashell

Hey,

A good start. A lot of missing songs and sketches that I think would be essential for an edited entry.

Maybe the topic could be split you into several sections :
Sketches
Songs
Films
Information on Memebers
etcetc.

Who can forget the Philosopher's Drinking song ? smiley - winkeye

alias...

Post 11

Hiram Abif (aka Chuang Tzu's Pancreas)

forget it? heck I'm listening to the "Monty Python Sing's" CD right now... and it is titled "Bruces'Philosophers Song" sung by the infamous Austrailian Bruces' (hence the distinct Austrailian sound of it)
other hits include: decomposing composers, lumberjack song, spam song, and every sperm is sacred...

there was also a Monty Python computer game, "Monty Python's Complete Waste of Time" which featured icons and sounds to customize your PC smiley - smiley

This game had a sequel, that I believe was based on the holy grail, but sadly I never saw it smiley - sadface

Post 12

Yeliab {h2g2as}

Monty Python have not fallen, if you say they have I will starp you down into the cumphy chair and offer you the soft cussion.

Ni, ni! Ni.

Post 13

Hiram Abif (aka Chuang Tzu's Pancreas)

I won't say it.

Post 14

Swiv (decrepit postgrad)

smiley - smiley

Monty Python, any news on this one?

I also think it needs some more work before it could be included, but it's such a nice start I'd be sad to see it languish.

I think it could use a bit of info on the Pythons themselves, and then perhaps sub-sections for the main things they did: each series and film? and some info on them
just a thought...

Post 15

Evil Zombie Strider

its been a long time since anybody has said anything here, so i hope you're still working on this, being as it needs to be done.

the main thing that needs doing is answering the question: What makes python so damned funny?

Strider smiley - footprints

Post 16

Mikey the Humming Mouse - A3938628 Learn More About the Edited Guide!

*sigh* I see a move to the flea market in this thread's future...

smiley - blue
mikey

Post 17

Evil Zombie Strider

I agree. smiley - blue Oh well. Hopefully somebody will take it on.

smiley - footprints

Post 18

Zaphod II

Are you not confusing Monty Python with Reginald Perrin? I also agree that MPFC is very much alive and kicking, and not an *ex-* parrot or anything similar. By the way, is this a one minute or a five minute argument?
Zaphod smiley - cdouble
PS you brave person for stepping on such sacred ground. good luck with the additions.

Post 19

Researcher 188007

Python is a hugely popular subject - it's perhaps best for this posting if it sticks to the title's subject matter, like as follows.

Brief background of each of the Python members. Depict atmosphere of anarchic comedy in 60's including That Was The Week That Was and Do Not Adjust Your Set. Very low-key release of first Python series leading to cult following, then more successful series.
Cancellation of series due to musical differences, continued renown. Height of achievement reached with 'Holy Grail' and 'Life of Brian' (which George Harrison produced - he saw it as autobiographical.) Downward slide in the 80's: mixed reception of 'Meaning of Life', then total panning of 'Yellowbeard', and effective dissolution of the sextet, confirmed with sad death of Graham Chapman (at whose memorial service, John Cleese said 'There's one more thing I'd like to say to Graham, and that's "good riddance, you freeloading b*****d", because he'd never forgive me if I didn't'). Mention state of play with the surviving members, and how the legacy endures.

That's how I'd write it. OK, so maybe I should just get on and do my own article. smiley - smiley

Post 20

Bright Blue Shorts

I think I saw an entry about internet spam on here somewhere crediting the Monty Python series with it's naming. Perhaps you could link to that.

bbs smiley - smiley

PS I found the entry a bit too brief, and from many of the comments above it seems to be inaccurate. That said I quite liked the briefness in a wierd sort of way smiley - smiley

Key: Complain about this post