This is the Message Centre for Ellen

Dinotopia disappointment

Post 1

Ellen

Did anyone happen to see the Dinotopia series? I watched the beginning of it, and was very disappointed. It was so different from the book. They started with a plane crash instead of a shipwreck, and they had the father die at the beginning. They had some mild swearing, which I thought was out of place in a show aimed so much at kids. Plus they turned it into a kind of Jurassic Park lite, with T-Rexs running all over the place. The book was charming and thoughtful and whimsical. I thought the movie version failed to capture that. Which is really too bad, because they had done a good job with costumes, set design, and dinosaur animation. *Shakes head* Maybe I didn't watch enough to give it a fair chance.

Dinotopia disappointment

Post 2

Simon the Silly Sausage (Gone AWOL from h2g2)

Hello you,
Thought I'd pop over to your space as your were kind enough to leave a palindrome on mine smiley - smiley

I didn't actually realise Dinotopia was based on a book. But like most book adaptations, the films rarely live up to expectations.
In the UK they showed Dinotopia as a 3 part series, I lost interest in the first part, found it a bit too childish and thought the acting was condescending.
But I did find myself tuning into watch the other episodes, and it did get much better. The final events were so riveting that I left my wife and two kids sitting in the bath for 10 minutes more than they wanted because I couldn't drag myself away.

I was a little disheartened to see the lead female role modelling G strings in a GAP advert. You would think that an actress who stars 'kids' movie would steer clear of that kind of thing.
Got nothing against women modelling G strings lol, just seemed wrong to see the girl from Dinotopia doing it.

Dinotopia disappointment

Post 3

Norm de p'Loom

I have to say that I agree. It was a disappointment. As you say, sets good, special fx excellent, but the actors - carved from wood. This was my youngest daughter's fave book, and she was very disappointed. The editing of the final product seemed to have been done in a very perfunctory manner too. No build up of tension for me I'm afraid, and several unexplained jumps in plot. I did stick with it to the end, but I guess that just makes me "sad".

PS Why bring back the dad character at the end? Not want to upset the tinies? But they had already believed him to be dead for almost 4 hours of screentime!

Dinotopia disappointment

Post 4

Or four weeks if you were over here in the UK.

I guess they did it to make it a happy fairy tale ending. It was very pointless if you ask me.
I'll have to keep an eye out for the book. My son if turning into a bit of a book worm, might be a bit advanced for him though. How old was your daughter when she read it?

Dinotopia disappointment

Post 5

Ellen

Hi Simone, hi Norm! smiley - smiley
Well, I guess I should have watched more of Dinotopia if it got better. As you say, when you read the book first you can expect too much. That's funny about the female lead modeling g-strings. She went from "g" rated to "g" string. Ha ha. I haven't seen any Gap ads that graphic here in Memphis. After all, I am in America's "bible belt". About the raciest undie adverts I see are the Victoria's Secret ones with the "angels" - gaunt supermodels with enormous wings. smiley - angel

The book Dinotopia is ideal for young kids. It's not too difficult to read, and kids love the beautiful illustrations. It's a lot less difficult than, say, the Hobbit. The original Dinotopia is a very gentle adventure, nothing too scary for the young'uns.

Dinotopia disappointment

Post 6

Ellen

Oops, that's Simon, not Simone. My typing is atrocious.

Dinotopia disappointment

Post 7

Hey, Don't worry, I've been called alot more in my tmie than Simone smiley - winkeye

Actually it wasn't a Gap ad, it was a Gossard one. Knew it had a G in it somewhere.

I'll be adding the books to my wish list on Amazon smiley - smiley
Thanks

Dinotopia disappointment

Post 8

Norm de p'Loom

Childrens books and lingerie ads - gna - - I think I am getting one of my headachessmiley - headhurts.

Without asking daughter number two, I would have guessed that she was about ten year's old at the time of reading for the first time. I do remember the illustrations though, they were excellent.

Dinotopia disappointment

Post 9

Ahh my son's only 2, probably still a bit young. Guess I'll stick with the Dr Suess and Winnie the pooh for now smiley - smiley

Dinotopia disappointment

Post 10

Ellen

Ah, I love Dr. Suess! A local museum had an exhibit of his work not too long ago. I got to see original drawings for some of his books, as well as rare advertising he did, and editorial cartoons. Apparently Suess was very active in the propaganda campaign against Nazism. Never knew that till I saw the exhibit. Also, there was a giant Cat in the Hat balloon outside, two stories tall. I wish I had gotten a picture of myself standing next to it.

Dinotopia disappointment

Post 11

Yeah I saw a program about some of the other stuff he did. He used to draw cartoons of Hitler being a clumsy clown. I didn't actually reaslise his work was that old.
Some childrens books are so well written and illustrated I think I get more enjoyment out of them than my kids do.
But then I am a big kid myself really smiley - smiley

Anyone remember any other childhood books they loved? I'm always on the look out for new stuff for my son, and xmas is comming!

Dinotopia disappointment

Post 12

Ellen

OK, here are some children's books I liked enough to buy, even though I don't have kids. A Day with Wilbur Robinson by William Joyce is quirky and fun. It's about a visit to a friend's house, and his odd and wonderful family. Stupid Emilien by S.T.Mendelson has great illustrations, and wonderful dancing Russian bunnies. From childhood I remember The Monster at the End of This Book, starring Grover from Sesame Street. Grover doesn't want the reader to reach the end of the book, because he is afraid of monsters, but of course the monster is him all along. I used to work in a bookstore, so I got to check out all the latest children's authors for a while.

Dinotopia disappointment

Post 13

Cool Thanks smiley - smiley
Must have been good fun working in a book shop. Did you meet any interesting authors while you were there?

Dinotopia disappointment

Post 14

Ellen

Good morning!

Nope, we were a little tiny bookstore, and as such didn't really attract authors on the lecture/booksigning circuit.

Dinotopia disappointment

Post 15

Probably no great loss, most authors seem rather full of themselves in real life. Guess fame goes to their heads.

My favorite kids book right now has to be 'The Gruffalo', can't remember the author though. One of those books you find yourself reading to the end, even when your kid has fallen asleep, or lost interest and wandered off to play something else lol.

Dinotopia disappointment

Post 16

Ellen

I have a funny author signing story. A lady I knew went very early to a John Grisham booksigning. She was standing there clutching her book, when Grisham walked up and said, "May I help you?" And she said, "No, I'm waiting for John Grisham." smiley - laugh She didn't recognize him! He was very gracious about it, he just laughed and signed her book.

Dinotopia disappointment

Post 17

How embarrasing for him, least he took it well.

Key: Complain about this post