A Conversation for Old Announcements: January - September 2011

Friday 4 February, 2011: H2G2 - The way ahead

Post 501

Icy North

I don't share your opinion, Shagbark.

What Z, Mrs Zen, Tavaron and many others (too many to name) have done is to get us all talking about h2g2 like we've never done before. Out of this have come some great ideas which are only now being collated and refined.

I have a lot more confidence today in the future of h2g2 than I had on that black day when the announcement was made. We'll get through this smiley - dontpanic

Post 502

Haragai

Shagbark,
The picture you paint I find too gloomy. The problem with your comparison is that the three blind persons fail to communicate to each other and hold fast to their perception without listening to the other.

It has been many years ago that I was in a communication training and there was this exercise to describe a drawing of some lines to the group and they had to draw it. The point of the exercise was learning to be clear, concise and consistent in communication.

Most times when I read posts here I feel that we here are talking sense, making sense and are articulate about our points of view and opinions.
And most important of all : We *LISTEN* and respect each other even when we do not agree.

smiley - cheers! Martin
--- Excuse the footwear induced halitosi

Post 503

Mrs Zen

Thank you Icy.

The conversations have certainly beenn agenda driven, and the agenda has been how to ensure h2g2 survives and indeed thrives in the future. We've been looking at funding, reinvigotating the edited guide, how the site should look and feel, how a smartphone app would work (for thereby comes our income, or some of it at least), and what a community of volunteers would hav to do to run the site successfully.

Running the site ourselves is Plan B. Plan A involves a sponsor, investor, sugar daddy, call it what you will. And I don't know about you but I think that no-one knows more about how h2g2 couls and should be than the hive mind of the community.

What do we want?
Control of the Guide!
When do we want it?
When the Editors have gone to lunch!

We've a time-table from the BBC for the next steps for anyone wanting to bid for the site, the BBC hve already said at whoever takes on the site will need to be mindful of the Community. Whoever bids for the site knows our name and knows where we live: 200+ folks signed up to comment in the Community's google group, only three of them offering free servers and bandwidth.

So... Te BBC have made it clear both to the Community and to anyone else what do do and when to do it, and we are working hard to make sure we're match fit. And it turns out that lurking behind the silly names and smiley - handcuffs smileys are a bunch of professional and apprentice or student skills.

smiley - magic

Ben

Post 504

Mrs Zen

Sorry about the typos. I've not got the easiest of keyboards at present.

What I am saying is that there is an agenda, there is a timetable, whoeve wants the site will have to deak with us one way or the other and we are findable and reachable.

We could do with some folk who could spare the site some hours of their time, but the really really useful thing you can do is engage in the relevant conversations in Ask and in Magrathea's Worskshop U14791015 and on the Consortium's page A80173361

Ben

Post 505

Effers;England.

I'll front up and say I'm scared of the new h2g2 which might be something we do on our own. Its because I'm someone who needs something firm and solid around me. Not authoritarian..though a bit of that is good smiley - biggrin I'm scared we'll fall apart into infighting. And I know what I'm like when things feel chaotic.

I really don't feel able to get very involved with the workshop stuff. Too many currents and stuff. Hard to explain but its a fact.

I *will do* what I can. Simple stuff like writing more letters if needed. Obviously donating. Or something else simple and straightforward I could do.

It sounds a bit childish I know to be scared of leaving mummy/daddy beeb. But I am childish or child-like in many ways.

Like I say I'll do what I can...but it seems damn *scary* to me, and I don't know if I'll feel comfortable in the new thing.

Post 506

Ben, I'm scheduling this to go out in the next batch of tweets:

What do we want?
Control of the Guide!
When do we want it?
When the Editors have gone to lunch!

Happy Nerd

Post 507

anhaga

'You mean Aryan, right?'

Maybe that's why we got Prussian Blue.smiley - laugh

Arian would just be heretical.smiley - winkeye

Now I'll finish the backlog and see if anyone has made the same jokes.smiley - smiley

Post 508

Baron Grim

smiley - laugh

Post 509

Vip

"'You mean Aryan, right?'" smiley - yikes

The thought never even occured to me! From his interview in smiley - thepost at A80837139, I gather the name was chosen in two minutes so he could get paid. smiley - laugh

smiley - fairy

Key: Complain about this post