A Conversation for Old Announcements: January - September 2011

Thursday 20 January, 2011 - The new H2G2 is live and kicking!

Post 1

The H2G2 Editors

Good news everyone. After much frantic last minute fixing and tinkering, we are pleased to announce that the redesigned H2G2 is now ready for you to go and explore over at http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2

As some of you are aware, the site went live earlier in the week, but wasn't quite stable and responding well enough for us to give you the green light to head over and click around. And, while there are sure to be a few glitches here and there, our technical teams have worked flat out to ensure that it will stand up to visitors.

Our original url will still be available for the time being and we will now wait for a bit more testing to be done before implementing the redirect to the new site.

If you spot any errors please keep adding them to the New H2G2 Feedback page: A78067353. Although, please be aware that some of the problems spotted earlier in the week regarding non-responding page were down to the instability of the site. If you have any general comments please add them here.

Massive thanks for your patience. We're still with the result and, needless to say, really hope that you will be too. Enjoy!

Cheers
Sam and Chris
The H2G2 Editors

PS, there is also a blog post you might like to read on the BBC Internet Blog about the redesign of H2G2 written by the head of the agency who undertook the work: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/bbcinternet/2011/01/h2g2_refresh_design_and_techni.html

Post 2

smiley - boing

smiley - boingsmiley - boing

smiley - boingsmiley - boingsmiley - boingsmiley - boingsmiley - boingsmiley - boingsmiley - boing

smiley - biggrin

Post 3

aka Bel - A87832164

smiley - applausesmiley - bubblysmiley - somersaultsmiley - run

Post 4

Baron Grim

I think I'll straddle between h2g2 and H2G2 for as long as I can.

I need my My Conve... Thingy to keep track of discussions and until(if/when/unless) that's implemented I'll have to keep a foot in the old world.

Post 5

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

OK, I know I said I was going to wait for the redirect, but that was when I thought the redirect and the you-can-play-now announcement were going to be coming at the same timesmiley - winkeye

I don't have time to play right now, but I can still say that there are still PS issues. I have missing blobs. My drop down lists are now piles of teeny print all smooshed together. Center justification just doesn't work for footnotes.

Post 6

anhaga

I agree, Count Zero. It's kind of tragic if the most useful aspect of the old version is chucked out in order to have a shiny Prussian Blue site.smiley - sadface

And

I tried to post the above paragraph from the new site to this thread and it got kicked back for offensive language.smiley - erm

Post 7

Baron Grim

But you said "Prussian" not "Belgium"! smiley - yikes

Post 8

Beatrice

Hurrah! I can eat those sweeties now! Oh frabjous day, what a suspicious occasion....

Post 9

Devonseaglass

Is it real? Can it be true? smiley - magic Sorry, it was blocked. Too offensive, apparently. smiley - erm

Post 10

aka Bel - A87832164

Oh, the subscription is now far more prominent and no longer hidden behind various buttons. I was baffled for a second when I saw I had subscribed to an entry yesterday, but then I had the 'eureka' effect. smiley - biggrin

Post 11

BMT

Not much point going any further, you can't post from the new site if you're using smileys, seems it see's <....> as offensive and blocks the post.smiley - huh
Also got a message saying page expired and then nothing followed by error 500, error404, page not found. smiley - erm

I'll stick with the old site for now which is where I've posted this from and see how things go.

smiley - cat

Post 12

2legs - Hey, babe, take a walk on the wild side...

Finally I can stop drinking smiley - coffee and move on to smiley - pggb sadly I've now got to dash out to be all dashing and intelligent for a few hours so I'll have to break... I mean try the new site when I return all unintelligent an inebriated smiley - ale ,run>

Post 13

Effers;England.

>shiny Prussian Blue site<

Oh god is that blue called Prussian? smiley - laugh And when I first read that..I misread the word 'site' smiley - winkeye And that's no lie.

Yeah I'm mostly sticking to the old site for now. I just don't have the patience for all the glitches.

Post 14

Dmitri Gheorgheni, Post Editor

smiley - ok Thanks for the update, and smiley - goodluck!

Post 15

Gingersnapper+Keeper of the Cookie Jar and Stuff and Nonsense

I am holding my breath to face a bright new world - But I was so comfortable in the old. It had a cozy warmth. I'll take a pocket full of cookies and smiley - bubbly with me and drop crumbs along the way, so that I can find my way back . .. ... . . .smiley - run . .. ...

Post 16

Reefgirl (Brunel Baby)

Don&#39;t like, want h2 to stay the same, can I still have my space in Brunel?

Still don&#39;t like

Post 17

Dear Editors,

I really, really need some sort of replacement for the "*My Conversations" software facility in the upgrade.

Post 18

Baron Grim

We're discussing that (the convos popup) in the feedback thread here: F19663853?thread=8006204

Post 19

Icy North

Can someone explain to me exactly what's missing. We do have this page:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/user/U8584330/conversations/

smiley - cheers Icy

Post 20

Baron Grim

http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/brunel/MP69725?skip=0&show=25&s_type=pop&s_target=conversation

This thing, Icy North.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more