A Conversation for Old Announcements: January - September 2011

This thread has been closed

24th February Single Sign On And Server Problems

Post 21

Jackruss a Grand Master of Tea and Toast, Keeper of the comfy chair, who is spending a year dead for tax reasons! DNA!

evening all, (bends knees and looks stright into camera)

It's been a trying week, what with the "Royal wedding" (not even a invite to the knees-up afterwards) and all this fun and games, any chance we can get it a little better next time rather than, on and off like a strippers G-string, i was getting quite dizzy going around and around this afternoon!

RJR

smiley - biggrin

Post 22

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Winter of our disconnect?

smiley - laughsmiley - laugh

Post 23

Paully

Groan... smiley - smiley

Paully

Post 24

fords - number 1 all over heaven

You have to worry about someone who laughs at their own jokes too smiley - winkeye

Post 25

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

are you suggesting we should only post jokes that we can't laugh at ourselves smiley - huh

smiley - biggrin

smiley - pirate

Post 26

Baryonic Being - save GuideML out of a word-processor: A7720562

You know why we're getting all these server problems don't you?

It's because you still use Microsoft servers. Don't you know that's asking for problems?
smiley - smiley

http://www.novell.com/linux/truth/

Post 27

Jim Lynn

Ignoring the fact that, during all of this, it's either routers or the Solaris Single-Sign-On server which have been causing the problems. The DNA servers have been working perfectly well.

Post 28

SEF

"The DNA servers have been working perfectly well."

No, they've had their down-time too. NARTHUR7 has had the most dropouts recently with NARTHUR0 coming in second - though these were minimal in comparison with the really bad patches of previous years. However, all were out of action just before noon on 20050224.

Post 29

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit unlikely
"For whatI have seen the 24th it was more like a router problem followed by 'Solaris Single-Sign-On server' problems.

Hmm,the 'Single Solaris Sign Server On' , I can finally picture the Single in this story."

Post 30

Baryonic Being - save GuideML out of a word-processor: A7720562

Ah, I see. Do you mean Sun Solaris?

Post 31

Jim Lynn

Not sure what other kind of Solaris I could mean. Yes, Sun Solaris.

Post 32

Jim Lynn

"No, they've had their down-time too."

But in this case, all the problems were caused by other parts of the infrastructure failing, not the DNA servers directly. That's what I was referring to in my message.

"NARTHUR7 has had the most dropouts recently with NARTHUR0 coming in second"

Not sure where you're inferring this information from, but NARTHUR7 hasn't been in the load balance as a DNA server since September last year - it's currently handling all the requests for the Hitchhiker adventure game on the radio 4 site. Requests to www.bbc.co.uk/dna aren't passed to it any more (although it is still running and up-to-date as a DNA server).

Post 33

SEF

"where you're inferring this information from"

The server logs. So not so much "inferring" as referring.

NB If their information is accurate then I've seen many more dropouts of BBC service than are accounted for by that. I already suspected as much though because the dropouts have been affecting MBs and even BBC front page whereas the rest of the (non-BBC) internet pages I checked were fine. So the problem has definitely been quite close to the BBC somewhere (but apparently outside various specific sub-sites and logged servers).

"the Hitchhiker adventure game on the radio 4 site"

Doesn't that include saving game status to dna/h2g2? I hadn't run a statistical check on which servers were showing up in normal dna status requests recently though. The last time I did could well have been before the new incarnation of the game.

Post 34

Jim Lynn

"The server logs"

Which server logs?

Post 35

SEF

The BBC ones.

Post 36

lil ~ Auntie Giggles with added login ~ returned

What about Two's, Three's and Four's smiley - huh

Post 37

helena9

HURRAY! at last i can sign in been tryin since january thanks to the person who fixed the problem a big kiss on the cheek X

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more