A Conversation for Old Announcements: January - September 2011

This thread has been closed

31 January 2005: Recategorisation Phase 1

Post 1

The H2G2 Editors

As an update to the previous announcement, we have made a number of changes to the h2g2 categorisation system.

Firstly, we've created one new top-level category that contains everything about h2g2, including the UnderGuide, Clubs and Societies and Information pages. This is to make a clearer distinction between the Edited Guide and other h2g2 material, and also brings things like the info pages and the UnderGuide nearer to the surface.

The biggest change to the Life, Universe and Everything groups is the recategorisation of a number of subjects from Life into Everything. To accommodate these, we've created new nodes within Everything, including 'Arts & Entertainment', 'Leisure & Lifestyle' and 'Deep Thought' (spiritual, philosophical and educational matters).

Any comments or suggestions related to additional possible grouping of entries can be submitted to the <./>Feedback-Editorial</.> forum.

[Edited to remove accidental GuideML text]

Post 2

quizzical

first?

Post 3

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

And does this recategorisation have any connection to why you're putting GuideML into threads now? smiley - geeksmiley - erm

Post 4

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Nope, that was me making a booboo.

Post 5

LL Waz

Any comments or suggestions can be made to "HTTP 400 - Bad Request" smiley - biggrin

Post 6

LL Waz

(PS, and off topic, the front page link to the Post leads to "Apologies for the interruption in service. The Post should return soon." I hope it does return soon, wouldn't be the same around here without it.)

Post 7

Traveller in Time Reporting Bugs -o-o- Broken the chain of Pliny -o-o- Hired

Traveller in Time smiley - tit reading <./>ThePost</.> archives
"It does so since last Thing. "

Post 8

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Jimster, another booboo; your link should point to "EditorialFeedback", not "Editorial Feedback"... smiley - geek

Post 9

Ottox

Or even Feedback-Editorial smiley - winkeye

Post 10

Traveller in Time smiley - tit feeding some backs
"< <./>Feedback-Editorial</.> > ? "

Post 11

LL Waz

Not being able to get to the page for the feedback, I'll post this here - I can't see where the link for the 'Top' level is. I see the other three.

My first impression is that this makes the info and UnderGuide pages less visible.

Post 12

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Waz, the Info and Guide are now one click away from the top, instead of about four. It will also mean there'll be a permanent link to the UnderGuide on the Front Page too, within categorisation.

Just go to any categorised entry, follow the category links at the top of the page and click 'Top' at the start of the chain.

Ta-Dah!

[and yes, I've also just fixed the link to Editorial feedback, though you all knew it anyway, so nyer.]

Post 13

LL Waz

Also,

1) having found the top level it gives the impression there's only 33 entries in the Guide. Now I know different but if I was new and exploring I wouldn't be impressed.

2) 'About h2g2' is odd wording to put UnderGuide under. I wouldn't think to look there for that sort of content. I'm trying to think of other headings but the best I've thought of is 'The Rest' or 'h2g2; Explained and Unedited.' which are not that good either but at least hint at the possibility of something more than help pages.

Post 14

LL Waz

Ach, I'm slow typing.

One click and permanent link are appreciated. Truly. Thankyou.

But, (of course there's but) I think that's an indirect route to the info (and UG, but principally info) pages. I see your difficulty - the obvious link is to use 'Guide' in that top bar up there but that implies info is part of 'The Guide'.

Post 15

LL Waz

I'd like to add that other than finding the way to it the new top level is neater and easier to understand and altogether a good thing (not meaning Thursday).

Without a direct link, Ed feedback was too many clicks away...smiley - winkeye

Post 16

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

You can never have too many clicks, especially if you're part of a castanet band. smiley - winkeye

Post 17

clzoomer- a bit woobly

*Hear, hear!!* for Jimster and all the smiley - magic makers in the mighty tower.

Or is it *Here, here!!*? No, since I'm not *There* I would have to say *There, there!!*, wouldn't I? Or would I have to be temporal and say *Now, now!!* or *Then, then!!*?smiley - erm

Does it show I just got out of bed? smiley - laugh

Post 18

Mu Beta

Given the current re-locations, I think 'Where, Where!' might be more appropriate.

B

Post 19

Traveller in Time smiley - tit Booleaning in
"Year year ?

"

Post 20

Jimi X

smiley - erm

Is the announcement going to go on the Announcement page or are you just going to keep it here in the forum?

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more