This is the Message Centre for ecotype

Hello.

Post 1

Scott Bennett-AKA Scoop

Hello.smiley - smiley
Hope your settling into the H2G2 ecosystem OK.

Hello.

Post 2

ecotype

Yep! And you are responsible for my first online coincidence: I too went to Lancaster University. Don't get too excited: this was about fifteen years ago...

Hello.

Post 3

Scott Bennett-AKA Scoop

Oh. What did you study? Maybe we know some of the same tutors.

Hello.

Post 4

ecotype

Ecology (predictably!). Actually, some of the tutors are no longer at Lancaster; one or two of them have retired I believe.

Hello.

Post 5

Scott Bennett-AKA Scoop

I wonder how much has changed since then?
What college were U.
I was in Lonsdale but I didn't do a lot of collegy stuff.
I worked for SCAN for my whole three years (two as music editor)

Hello.

Post 6

ecotype

I actually went to LU on a conference a couple of years ago, and again to St Martins last year to give a talk. So I've seen both the Uni & the town. I'm afraid I didn't recognise the town too well - although the structure hasn't changed at all, nearly all of the shopfronts have, making it look only vaguely familiar. The campus has a *lot* more buildings, including the conference centre, Ruskin library etc. none of which were there in 1989 (the last time I went). Also a lot more cars! I don't remember any students having cars at all; it was usually considered an unpopular sign of ostentatious wealth!! It's still not universal by any means, but the general demand for car accommodation has obviously increased.

I was distressed to find that the lovingly-preserved grave of one of my pet rats, long since gone to the great cheese factory in the sky, has now become part of a roundabout...

Eh - it were all fields in my day

Hello.

Post 7

ecotype

Remembered the college. Furness.

Hello.

Post 8

Scott Bennett-AKA Scoop

Ahh. Spent a lot of time at Furness as I was a history student.
Yeah the town has changed lots just in the three years I was there. I am also aware that there are several colleges at the uni that didn't exist when you were there, like Pendle.
Yep cars are ubiquitous their now (not that I had one). Hasn't stopped the uni wasting several £10,000 on a new hitching post made out of the same stuff as the Ruskin just to make it more attractive.
If U mean the roundabout near the underpass then that means that one of my friends lost his virginity on your rat's grave (a particularly daring and drunken incident that).

Hello.

Post 9

ecotype

that particular rat would have wanted it that way...

Plans

Post 10

Scott Bennett-AKA Scoop

That's good.smiley - smiley
I'm actually working on an entry about Lancaster. Any Ideas would be apreciated.

Plans

Post 11

Scott Bennett-AKA Scoop

A dictionary so I can spell better when typing quickly might be appreciated too smiley - biggrin.

skeletons

Post 12

ecotype

go to [URL removed by moderator]- this will lead you to one of the most useful little downloads. use it to Alt key + right click on any word, and it will look it up on a massive server with dictionary, encyclopedia, web keywords, translations and anything else the Atomica server can lay hands on: and it's free, with no adverts to speak of.

The most obvious things I can remember about Lancaster the town are The Structure (Ashton memorial/butterfly house) and the fountain in the town centre with its collection of layabouts (which at the time included me), surrounded by (mostly) really good pedestrianised shopping. And Single Step. And the canal, with the Water Witch & some quite reasonable emergent vegetation, if I remember rightly (the canal, not the pub). Also the fact that a dead crocodile was once buried on campus by the biology dept., in the hope of getting a really cool skeleton to show off a few years down the line. When they came to dig it up, it had "walked"! Quite where it all went was a bit of a mystery. I don't know whether a passable skeleton was ever constructed out of it... Prof. Whittaker might know.

skeletons

Post 13

Scott Bennett-AKA Scoop

what's single step?

skeletons

Post 14

ecotype

Forgot about URLs - it's the main Atomica website anyway.

Single Step was the main wholefood/radical book place (I used to make cards which they sold, hence it stuck in my mind). It's probably gone/changed - or, if you're not a great lentil and anarcho-syndicalist magazine fan, you may not have found it in any case. There was a cafe above the shop.

skeletons

Post 15

Scott Bennett-AKA Scoop

Where exactly was it?

single step

Post 16

ecotype

(as in "A thousand mile journey begins with a - - ")

is still there according to the lancs ac website; it always used to be tucked away in a little courtyard through an alleyway. Forget the name, but it's reasonably central. Ask at Whale Tail or some suitably lentilly place, and they'll soon tell you.

single step

Post 17

Scott Bennett-AKA Scoop

Whale tail?
If its on campus I'm pretty sure it ain't there. If its in town Is it down sun street or something.
Its just that I pride myself on my foodie/radical book place knowledge.
If it is still there I've probably been there without noticing the name.

single step

Post 18

ecotype

I'm just too out of touch; however, the website may help. I've just looked at it (the "shopping" section of the lancs/ac site) and it seems to have pictures of both places. Or maybe this too is out of date (not inconceivable!)

single step

Post 19

ecotype

smiley - smileyJust found an old carrier bag whilst I was shifting some flood-related junk around.
Whale Tail and Single Step:
78a Penny Street, Lancaster, UK
Tel. 01524 845133 (this is probably out of date, but presumably the address is still the same...)

et

single step

Post 20

Scott Bennett-AKA Scoop

Cool well I'm going up on thursday so I'll check it out.

Key: Complain about this post