A Conversation for Sleep and Teenagers

30 hour day

Post 1

FABT - new venture A815654 Angel spoiler page

the comment about teenagers being on a longer than 24 hour day really hit home. I often felt like this through school and despite my mother insisting that if i went to bed at 22.00 every night and got up at 07.00 everyday I would soon adjust I never did. I could never sleep until about 13.00 and then I couldnt wake up.

I have also found that since finishing uni and obviously being a bit older than a teenager now i have found sleep much easier. i dont think its a case of getting in a routine or wareing youself out at work it's just that the day seems a much more sensible length.

I know most teenagers are lazy e.c.t. and despite the protests we all make as a teenager we all know this to be inherently true, but I really think the problem is compounded by the day being the wrong length.

Thank you very much for this article, life makes more sense now.

FABT

30 hour day

Post 2

FABT - new venture A815654 Angel spoiler page

sorry, meant never sleep till 01.00

smiley - doh

FABT

30 hour day

Post 3

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Splendid smiley - bigeyes

30 hour day

Post 4

Aurora

Wierd... This entry comes as I've just taken a day off school because I'm too tired to do any work there. My usual sleep cycle 11.30pm to 7.30am on weekdays, and then 1am to 12pm at weekends. And I'm one of the more normal sleepers I know of. smiley - yawn

~~A~~

30 hour day

Post 5

Hopelessly Paranoid

Snap. I've done exactly the same. My usual sleep cycle is about 1-7am (not very intelligent, I am aware). Today I lay in until 14:30 (and I'm not proud of it). I would agree that more sleep on a regular basis probably would contribute to a healthier, less mentally imbalanced lifestyle. Ironically, I'm writing this at about 00:30. smiley - yawn

Ah, well. Bed, methinks. smiley - winkeye

[HP}=~~

30 hour day

Post 6

Aurora

Ah, I'm on holiday now, so I stayed over at my friend's house last night... We went to bed at 6am, and then woke up at 11am. So far, I'm feeling fine. It'll hit me tomorrow (Christmas eve smiley - doh)

~~A~~

30 hour day

Post 7

Researcher 188428

Theres too much emphasis placed on routine in todays society. With the invention of electricty, we can create pseudo-days in our own rooms, replacing the need to retire to our caves when the shadows come out.
Why cant we just sleep when we are tired, and go to school when we are conscious? Having left school 2 years back now, and being ready to leave college, it trikes me that if children had more freedom to learn when they wanted, and sleep when they are tired,
we wouldnt have so many young suicide cases, so many depressed teens, or incidents like Columbine. Remember those summer days when you could do as you wish? Why cant it be like that? I never found the education system to be negative until I reached 11. No one enjoys being forced to do anything.

Just random whimsical thoughts from an emerging adolescent...

30 hour day

Post 8

Researcher 178815

Aha! Found you, you Tommy Boyd Fanatic! That's /*HIS*/ Theory about the caves and such... Did he ever say what that invention which was "featured in the Times newspaper and said to be 'better than the internet'" actually was?

Anyway.. click on YOUR name,, which is researcgher blahblahblah and then click on "edit page" at the right hand side of the page . smiley - smiley write something about yourself and then click "Add Introduction" smiley - smiley Trust me smiley - smiley

smiley - coolaka (",)smiley - cool

PS: What's wrong with the h2g2 post?

30 hour day

Post 9

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

The holidays have interfered with the time the h2g2 Post gets put to bed smiley - winkeye

30 hour day

Post 10

Aurora

When can we expect the return of Greebo's Big One?

~~A~~

30 hour day

Post 11

Researcher 178815

*feels intimidated with him being the only person involved in the post*

erm... erm...

*looks for an quick escape - glances left and a quick right*

erm... help!

*looks round*

A-HA!

*flies off*

Babye! Woahahahahahahaaaaaarrrrrr....

smiley - winkeyecoolsmiley - winkeye

30 hour day

Post 12

Aurora

smiley - wow

30 hour day

Post 13

Researcher 178815

You'aven`eard me- Roight?

30 hour day

Post 14

Aurora

I should apologise... I couldn't think of the right smiley, so I guessed and clicked "Preview"... Only I missed and clicked "Post". Oopsie... I suppose instead of smiley - wow it should have been smiley - yikes or smiley - huh or smiley - erm...

smiley - biggrin

30 hour day

Post 15

Researcher 178815

Wey!

smiley - footprintsaka (",)

30 hour day

Post 16

Twenty-First Century Schizoid Man

I am a teen, and its true, we dont get enough sleep. I usually cant sleep till at least eleven or eleven thirty (ITS THE MELATONIN) and i have to get up at seven. It sucks. On Mon and Tue Im used to sleeping in till ten cuz of the weekend, and by Friday I have such a huge sleep deposit...its friday today...Im so bushed.

30 hour day

Post 17

Aurora

Only 10am? What's the point of weekends if you can't sleep until at least midday? smiley - silly

I'm sure I saw a thread on askh2g2 about this a few weeks ago. Something about it being an evolutionary advantage for a few people to be nocturnal if you're in a small tribe of people. Not sure how it related to teenagers and sleep, though.

I've just discovered the wonders of caffeine in dealing with this problem. Two vodka and cokes, and two hours of sleep last night and I'm wide awa... smiley - zzz

~~A~~

30 hour day

Post 18

marianne_unfaithful

someone I know in their 30's still acts like a teenager - up all night and asleep all day

30 hour day

Post 19

weesazzer

as a barmaid i can start work any time between ten am and ten pm. but if i start at ten am i'm on for fifteen hours. so in a "normal" week i'll do two fifteen hour shifts, an eight hour day shift and two seven or eight hour night shifts. really messes up your sleep pattern. i pretend i'm used to grabbing as many hours as i can whenever i can, but the reality is that i'm constantly exhausted. you shouldn't wake up tired.
even at school i slept for maybe four hours at night then another two when i got home in the evenings. that still seems like magic now (its four am now and i'm not nearly sleepy). shift work sucks. smiley - sleepy

Key: Complain about this post