Here you go.

A621532 - The Problem with Wedding Gift Lists

Post 2

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

'Thumbs up' !

Post 3

Z

I think there's another problem with wedding gift lists. If you are going to a wedding between two young pennyless lovebirds who are both in the process of buying there first home them this is a great way to help them getting the things that they need for the future. But what if the couples remarrying and they have the junk from two houses and everything they need. Or if they they have been living together for twelve years, you are getting them things that they want rather than things that they need.

Whereas I don't really see a problem with making a list of things that you want (I did the same thing before I left home the week before my 18th) I think making a list of things that you want is just a little bit rude. And what do you do if you can't afford anything on the list?

But then you get vase problem so I can see it both ways....

Post 4

Jezery (Keeper of cute, cuddly little rottweilers)

What sort of 'wedding list' are you talking about?
- using a 'gift registery' at a store, which specifies exactly what you want, right down to '6 Brand X coffee mugs in fluorescent green'; or
- a general sort of list that you leave with your parents/in-laws so that they can give people an idea of what you want if they ask and help make sure you don't end up with three toasters?

Personally, I think the first type can be a bit vulgar, but the second type is extremely useful and can allow for a bit of lateral thinking.

We had just bought a new home a couple of months before we got married. We bought the paint we wanted and one friend painted the lounge and living room as a gift while we were on our honeymoon. Another friend installed new light fittings we had bought.

Post 5

Old Net Lunatic

I think both kinds of list can be useful, indeed almost every wedding guest wants to give you a present anyway, therefore having an explicit or implicit list is doing them (and you) a favour.

The piece is supposed to be humourous, and not to be taken too seriously by the way.

Post 6

Galaxy Babe - eclectic editor

I can see the humour side.smiley - biggrin
I've been in that position myself, relatives from afar bought their choice of smiley - giftbecause the list never got sent out with the invite.

Second marriages, or couples who have lived together for a long time & have everything they need already, could do a lot of good by stating on their invitations "We are not accepting gifts but would welcome a donation to our favourite charity which is: "

This is what I would do, should I ever re-marry.

smiley - smiley

I am sure this entry has a place in the Edited Guide.
Well done.smiley - ok

Post 7

Zarquon's Singing Fish!

I have a horror of wedding lists at a store. Often the items on them are horrendously expensive.

What happens when you find it inconvenient to get to the store? Phone up and place a telephone order? That doesn't feel very personal, does it?

At the last wedding I went to, I asked the bride's mother and she said, 'A yellow casserole dish'. That's fine by me. I had a happy day looking for one - yellow isn't the easiest colour to come by, but I managed it. I chose one I could afford and that I liked. I'm told she really liked it!

You might want to put headings on the sorts of thing you can do, with pros and cons. This would make reading it a bit easier.

smiley - fishsmiley - musicalnote

Post 8

Old Net Lunatic

Good points, thanks.

Post 9

Bluebottle

A good article - but one-sided.
A friend of mine got married, only to discover that his new mother-in-law had sent out copies of a wedding list. Neither he nor his wife to be had been informed that this wedding list existed, it was sent out without their permission, or indeed knowledge of its existence, and contained items that the mother in law wanted her daughter to have, which in no way reflected what she, nor her new husband, in any way wanted...

<BB<

Post 10

Old Net Lunatic

Point taken.

Post 11

Sam

Dear ONL,

I'm on the verge of accepting a Scout recommendation that your entry be picked, but I'm wondering if you're going to incorporate some of the comments made in this thread before I do so. I think the entry would benefit from a tiny bit of tidying up and extra info.smiley - smiley

Post 12

Orcus

I did the vase thing a couple of years ago but that's because the wedding list given to me was from Selfridges London.

Example. Set of Napkin Rings - £120

Sod that for a game of soldiers.

SO yeah, if they choose exceptionally expensive stuff they deserve everything they (don't) get smiley - smiley

Nice article BTW smiley - ok

Post 13

Old Net Lunatic

Yeah I will have a look at doing that - not sure when though....

Post 14

Old Net Lunatic

This entry has now been updated to reflect some of the comments made. It is more balanced. Many thanks for all the comments and hopefully it can now go for editing.

ONL smiley - smiley

Post 15

Sam

Brilliant! Cheers ONL.smiley - smiley

Congratulations - Your Entry has been Picked for the Edited Guide!

Post 16

h2g2 auto-messages

Your Guide Entry has just been picked from Peer Review by one of our Scouts, and is now heading off into the Editorial Process, which ends with publication in the Edited Guide. We've therefore moved this Review Conversation out of Peer Review and to the entry itself.

If you'd like to know what happens now, check out the page on 'What Happens after your Entry has been Recommended?' at EditedGuide-Process. We hope this explains everything.

Thanks for contributing to the Edited Guide!

Key: Complain about this post