A Conversation for How Not to Name Children

About rules 8 and 9

Post 1

some bloke who tried to think of a short, catchy, pithy name and spent five sleepless nights trying but couldn't think of one

One thing I've heard as an idea for choosing a name is: Go down to a playground and call out the name you're considering. If evey other kid turns around, it's too common. If the parents all look at you funny, it's too strange.

About rules 8 and 9

Post 2

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Re: rule 9, Moon Unit Zappa has had a reasonably successful career in US television, and Dweezil has appeared in a few major movies (as well as some minor success with the band he and his brother formed). So, given the fact they were probably destined to go into show business from the start those names were likely to be more of a help than a hinderance. Perhaps the children of Paula Yates might have been a better example...? smiley - winkeye

About rules 8 and 9

Post 3

Earthman

In my opinion, Paula Yates kids have been given suitable names for poodles. That may be harsh of me, but it's not as harsh as naming some poor kid 'Fifi Trixibelle'...

About rules 8 and 9

Post 4

HarpoNotMarx (((2*1)^6)-6-(2*8)=42

Don't name any child something you'd be embarrassed calling down the road. One of the less endearing things about living in West Yorkshire is going shopping and hearing some of the socially disadvantaged parents bellowing at their offspring in the supermarket "Kylie, gerrear, or I'll tan yer ****in' ar$e"
Also, consider the older years - are we ready for a rash of Auntie Kylies and Grandma Chardonnays???

Key: Complain about this post