This is the Message Centre for Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

UK Trip planning is pretty much done...

Post 1

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

I've gotten a *lot* done, as far as planning the trip. Seriously--we're down to discussing the merits of different train routes Elsewhere, and other little things. I just haven't been keeping here updated... Though we do still need to figure out venues for the evening potions of the London and Edinburgh Meets (Manchester having always had a venuesmiley - winkeye).

The main reason so much has gotten done with the planning is that the last couple months have been quite stressful at work--as folks may or may not know, I work as an aide in a special education class. The main teacher has been off since early February (happy reasons!), so we've had long-term substitutes. We'll be starting on our 4th tomorrow *twitch* Trip planning made for a wonderful displacement activitysmiley - laugh But Easter Monday starts spring break, so that's a week off, and then our main teacher will be coming back. Plus, as I realised once the planning was getting quite close to being done, I'm starting my annual online temporary job tomorrow, and this time, it's scheduled to last until school is outsmiley - yikes so I won't have time to do the major research I had been doing, anyway. This year, the proceeds from the online job are all going towards the trip--for which all major purchases have been made, so I basically just need money for food, entrance fees, and souvenirs/gifts.

For the curious, my itinerary is at A87879046 with links to all the meets included. If you don't want to scroll down, the London Meet is at A87879857 the Manchester Meet is at A87879866 and the Edinburgh meet is at A87879875smiley - ok

Post 2

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

" evening potions of the London and Edinburgh Meets"

Alcoholic or nonalcoholic, or perhaps Harry Potterish? smiley - winkeye

Post 3

Amy Pawloski, aka 'paper lady'--'Mufflewhump'?!? click here to find out... (ACE)

Yessmiley - tongueout

'Twas typed about 2am-ish--I'm surprised that that was the only typosmiley - laugh

Post 4

Baron Grim

The pub I liked the best when I was in Edinburgh a couple of years ago was The Auld Hoose. It's just outside of the more touristy Royal Mile area. I met Fords and Evibenstein there for drinks and veggie nachos. I went back again later in the week. But I really liked most of the bars and pubs in Edinburgh and Manchester. I really want to return to a few of them before too long.

Post 5

Like, for instance, Beer Nouveau in Manchester? smiley - winkeye

Post 6

Baron Grim

I will not be returning to Beer Nouveau.

I haven't been there yet. I'll return on subsequent trips though.

smiley - cheers

Post 7

I meant going there, not returningsmiley - cheers

I have discovered Secrets of Great British Castles on Netflix (wonderful for folding laundry during--engaging enough to make the folding less boring, enough narration to make it possible to watch what I'm doing). It's been fun getting info on both places I'll be seeing, and places I just plain won't make it to... I almost rearranged the Scottish Roadtrip portion of my trip--there are reproductions of unicorn tapestries at Stirling Castle! In the end, I decided that genuine Neolithic things at Kilmartin Glen were more important to me than reproduced tapestries.

Post 8

smiley - envy

Are there any haunted castles on the itinerary? smiley - bigeyes

Post 9

Baron Grim

I do regret not taking a day trip from Edinburgh to Steriling* Castle. I even had an unused day left on my 4 day BritRail pass when I flew out. I could have seen the famed Stirling Bridge that Mel Gibson decided wasn't necessary when recreating the battle of Sterling Bridge.

*I thought this was a funny typo so I left it in. smiley - laugh

Post 10

coelacanth

paulh, *all* castles in the UK are haunted, didn't you know? smiley - ghost Or at least that's what we tell any visiting Americans. smiley - smiley
smiley - bluefish

Post 11

Baron Grim

Shouldn't hospitals be especially haunted? You rarely hear about haunted hospitals.

smiley - ghostsmiley - nursesmiley - ghostsmiley - doctorsmiley - ghost

Post 12

I can't say much about Stirling, as I don't know how to stirl.

Key: Complain about this post