This is the Message Centre for kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Work are making 200 staff redundant...

Post 1

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

...as they are outsourcing to India.

Sadly, I'm not one of them.

At this rate there will be five of us, all desperate to leave but all with families and unwilling to just go without the redundancy package, sitting alone in that massive great building surrounded by the empty desks of former colleagues who *didn't* want to leave, being asked to do the jobs of the 50-strong team we used to have.

Post 2

Titania (gone for lunch)

Ouch kelli smiley - hug

And please, please don't fall into the guilt trap - it will make neither you nor your former colleagues any happier, and is not really valid either.

Just a thought - would it be possible for you to w*rk from home? To avoid the 'graveyard' office?

Post 3

fords - number 1 all over heaven

So much for companies bringing the jobs back to the UK smiley - sadface

Post 4

Emily...overly fond of the ellipsis...and top ten lists...submit yours @ A87824361...

That sucks smiley - hug

British Airways did something not dissimilar at the end of last year, cutting loads of jobs and outsourcing. My uncle - who turned 50 in May - was one of the unlucky few. He's been looking but it's hard at the moment because there are a lot of people in the same boat and a lot of people who are just starting out vying for the same jobs.

I know from him that it's difficult for both the staff who stay and the staff who leave because it's awkward. Which is natural but Titania's right, falling into the guilt trap won't make either of you happier.

It's a sucky situation, but you just need to keep your chin up and carry on and be glad you still have your job, that's the important thing smiley - smiley

Post 5

Vip

smiley - sadface

I had a similar hope, then realised I am the only person currently contracted to work at my place at the moment. While there is still an obligation to provide a service, I still ave a job. Unfortunately.

smiley - fairy

Post 6

Sho - employed again!

sorry to hear that Kelli. Isn't there any way you can get onto the redundancy list (if that's what you want)

my job is being nixed too, so I'm in a very difficult situation too

Post 7

kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Oh don't worry, I'm not feeling guilty, just annoyed that we keep dodging this. We've had round after round of cuts as we outsource to India and Lat Am so none of us feel anything other than weary. Meanwhile the US bosses drive more and more work at us and we can't keep up. Currently in a row because I'm insisting on doing some work in a way that won't leave us at risk of legal problems later, but am under great pressure to skip the analysis and just bash any old thing in. It is horrible, but I don't want to walk away before the chance of taking redundancy.

Sho, your situation sucks. At least I'm lucky that we could manage without my wage so I'd be happy to go. Hope your new role negotiations work out.

Post 8

Sho - employed again!

oh mann, I hate it when companies do that. I've just been through the Month-end-from-hell where the orders and letters of credit came too late to be of any real use, so I was pushed into accepting the L/Cs as they were and just sending out stuff in the hopes of making any sales.

Now I've had time to check and try to amend them (rejected by the customer, as I would in their position) I can see that we will have a mountain of paperwork and a mountain of reports justfying why my costs are so astronomical.

do it properly, do it once, is my motto and it's compromised on a daily basis.
smiley - sadface

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for kelli - ran 2 miles a day for 2012, aiming for the same for 2013

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more