This is the Message Centre for CKL

greetings CKL...

Post 1

Seven of Nine [(1x52)-2-8]x1=42!

Hi and welcome to h2g2. smiley - hug
My name is Seven of Nine and I am an Assistant Community Editor (ACE)
Just one of a group of researchers to like to meet, greet and hopefully befriend newcomers to the guide.smiley - cool
If I can be of any assistance to you at all, or you'd just like to chat, just click the reply button and I will returnsmiley - run
Have somesmiley - teasmiley - biggrin
Hope to see you around!
Happy Hitchhiking smiley - ok

~Seven~
smiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - starsmiley - star

greetings CKL...

Post 2

CKL

Hi Seven
Thanks for your greeting - how do you get those cool smileys in?

I would like to ask some things about what sort of topics should / should not get entries and what the style of the entries should be.

I went to one of the writing forums to get a sense of the format entries should be submitted in, and found an discussion on someone's first ever entry on "What would happen to you were you to be travelling at the speed of light". I thought it was quite a light-hearted piece, threw up a few interesting questions, but left them mostly unanswered.
I think it then went forward to peer review (perhaps prematurely), and although the idea for the entry was praised, a whole bunch of theoretical physicists seized on it, ripped the thing apart on a variety of scientific principles and bumped it down to one of the lesser discussion forums (?fora) before noting that the original author seemed not to be contributing much to the discussion, and had - indeed - completely disappeared (probably in tears, never to make a submission again, I shouldn't wonder!)

I suppose it made me think what should be here, and what style it should be. On reflection, some of the entries from the original Hitchhikers Guide wouldn't get very far; "Space is big, REALLY big..." probably wouldn't cut much ice with some of the astrophysics freaks out there!

Is it just the science topics that demand such precision, or should everything be as thorougly researched and theorised as possible? I have no problem with reading or performing research, but surely the individual viewpoint & sense of humour is one of the strengths (& weaknesses?) of this site over - say - a scientific journal.

I'd still like to contribute things to the site - I like the interconnectiveness of these things - but it'd be nice to think that what I'd written was going to be constructively or at least positively criticised in the style it was written, rather than just panned!

Thanks
CKL

greetings CKL...

Post 3

CKL

Oh, sorry, one more thing!

What's the difference between muses, keepers and guardian angels, and what qualifications do you need to be one?

Thanks
CKL

greetings CKL...

Post 4

Seven of Nine [(1x52)-2-8]x1=42!

Hello again CKL.smiley - smiley
Sorry I did not reply sooner.
If you mean you would like to write a guide entry, please read the http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/writing-guidelines..
This will explain exactly what is needed for the guide and also explains the format.
Peer Review is very strict, and should only be used for finished entries, to be improved upon.
I am sorry about that entry.
I can imagine that it was taken to the writing workshop, which is where all the entries get moved if they are deemed not ready for the guide.
Peer Review is supposed to be about constructive critisism.smiley - sadface
To make the smileys, just click on one, and you will be transported to the smiley page as if bysmiley - magicsmiley - winkeye
I made a page of links for newcomers here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A464005
I hope you will find it useful reading.smiley - bigeyes

You also asked about the titles of the other researchers.
There are various societies around h2g2 where people have gathered, started clubs, etc.
The only 'official' greeters are the ACEs but the Guardian Angels also greet newcomers. They also like to party a lot, and like to help out if anyone requests help.
The Keepers are here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A441596
I am the Keeper of Seahorses.
If you wish to keep something, first check the list of Keepers {there are over 300 now} then click on "new conversation" and the Archangel will give you your title.
If you wish to become a Muse of something, {I am the Muse of Perfection} visit the Musehome, here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A420661

If I have missed anything please ask me again.
It is very early in the morning here and I am not quite awake yetsmiley - sleepy(that is made by typing < sleepy > without the spaces)
smiley - biggrin
Hope this information helps!

~Seven~

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for CKL

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more