A Conversation for Faculty of Arts and Entertainment

SCUMM/Lucas Arts Proposal

Post 1

Tony2Times/Prof. Chaos

A long time ago when I was young and ill I remember seeing my brother play this game on the Amega Commodore that he didn't seem to understand; frustrated at not being able to do much he never looked at it again.

Years later my friend pulled out a game which was strikingly similar, so similar in fact that it was the same game: Monkey Island.

I adored the humour and the ease of which to play this game but the mind taxation it took to complete it. Soon I found that there was a sequel and indeed a few more games.

Only recently, when trying to find out how to play these basic games on such super fast computers, I discovered about the entire process of the games. These point and click games were powered by an engine acronymed SCUMM and there were a set amount of games; I have played a number of them but not all so if anyone out there knows any of them and still has them would they be able to make a university project with me? The games are thus:

* Maniac Mansion
* Zak McKracken And The Alien Mindbenders
* Indiana Jones And The Last Crusade: The Graphic Adventure
* LOOM
* The Secret of Monkey Island
* Monkey Island 2: LeChuck's Revenge
* Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis
* Maniac Mansion 2: Day Of The Tentacle
* Sam & Max Hit The Road
* Full Throttle
* The Dig
* The Curse of Monkey Island

I know both Maniac Mansions, all Monkey Islands, Sam&Max and Full Throttle, but thats only 7 of twelve. Need more help, and a sub-editor, it would help if the sub knew about the games but obviously its not a must.

Post 2

DrMatt

I've played Atlantis and The Dig, but it's been a while...

But I'm sure could manage. Count me in.

Matt

Post 3

Kat - From H2G2

I've never played any of them but it's the sort of thing I enjoy, so whilst I can't actually write anything, further down the line I will be happy to be your resident sub-editor if you like smiley - ok

Post 4

Tony2Times/Prof. Chaos

Well I would recommend anyone to play them if they can get their hands on them because the humour in them is sublime and very much to the HooToo communities taste I'd think. In fact I really wish LucasArts had have done Starship Titanic because it would have probably made it just a tad better.

But for anyone who has the games or finds the games (I don't know if they're available for download) and has difficulty playing them they can use the download from this site to play them, its essentially an emulator and works amazingly well:

www.scummvm.org

Love to get some more peeps on board, I'll count you in too Kat smiley - smiley

Post 5

Geggs

I've played Monkey Island 2, Day of the Tentacle, Sam & Max, Full Throttle, The Dig and Curse of Monkey Island.

They were are few other post-SCUMM Lucas Arts games as well. Like Grim Fandango, and a forth Monkey Island game, whose full name I forget. Don't know whether you want to include them.

They are reported to be working on sequels to Sam & Max and Full Throttle at the moment.

Geggs

Post 6

Geggs

Oh, and I've got copies of Manic Mansion and Zak McKraken on a C64 emulator too, but the controls are fiddly, so I've not really got into them.

Geggs

Post 7

Tony2Times/Prof. Chaos

Are you offering yourself up for Zak McKracken and Dig? Or just noting.

The fourth Monkey Island game is Escape From, I bought it a few weeks ago but have not completed it yet, same with Grim Fandango except I haven't played that yet, I don't know whether to include them or not.

The Sam&Max sequel was called off in March of this year after snippets and trailers of the game were released, I was thoroughly disappointed. Unless you have any newer news than this?

Post 8

Geggs

Was it? That's a shame. Hope they are still going ahead with Full Throttle 2, though.

I could have a crack at The Dig. My copy is still back at my parents though, so I'd have to search it out and refresh myself before documenting it.

I do remember that there were three possible endings, though. That was quite cool at the time.

Geggs

Post 9

DrMatt

You should do The Dig, Geggs, it's been too long since I played it. I'll do Fate of Altantis, though.

Matt

Post 10

Khamsin

maniac mansion is aviable to play on day of the tenticle, trust me I played it through that...

other than that I played the first two monkey island games, sam and max, day of the tenticle and Indiana Jones And The Fate Of Atlantis

smiley - angel I was never ever a point and click fansmiley - winkeye

Uni: SCUMM/Lucas Arts Proposal - Abandoned

Post 11

Bluebottle

No trace of any entries found.

<BB<

Key: Complain about this post