A Conversation for Faculty of Arts and Entertainment

Project: Comic Book Heroes

Post 1

U168592

Project Title: Comic Book Heroes

A-number of Project Title Page: A5839509

Description of Project: Adding to the already created EG Entries on Comic Book Heroes, focussing on the DC and Marvel popular heroes with the intent of encouraging other Researchers to either assist or add to the project.

Proposed Completion Date: 21/ 09/ 2006 (or earlier if possible)

Post 2

U168592

Proposed Completion Date should be: 1/ 11/ 2005 smiley - sorry

Post 3

Smij - Formerly Jimster

Well, I suppose you're the one to do it - very best of luck! smiley - ok

Post 4

U168592

Yeah, but I REALLY hate Superman smiley - laugh Anyone else fancy giving him a burl?

Post 5

J

Superman's my second favorite. Very American.
I liked Batman best, but the cartoon versions when I was younger (there was a Batman comic book, right?)

All this is by way of saying good luck, MJ smiley - smiley

smiley - blacksheep

Post 6

David B - Singing Librarian Owl

Superman's OK. smiley - smiley Batman's better. So's Wonder Woman. And Flash. And lots of minor characters that no-one other than comic smiley - geek people like me know about!

Jodan, yes there has been a Batman comic since 1940 (he first appeared in Detective Comics #27 in 1939, but didn't get his own solo comic until the next year).

I have written a couple of super-hero entries including the Batman's Villains one (which is ridiculously controversial, as lots of people are upset that their favourite was missed out - he has over sixty years worth of villains, so of course they're not all in there!) and one on the Justice Society of America, the world's first ever super-hero team. I'm not really up for a time-limited project, though - I'd rather just add an entry as and when I have time and inclination. I am quite happy to look in on all of the entries for this project, though. smiley - smiley

David

Post 7

J

Looking at that entry, I can see my favorite Batman Villain, Louie the Lilac (played by Milton Berle) wasn't included smiley - tongueout

smiley - blacksheep

Post 8

smiley - tongueout indeed. I think he was an invention of the TV series, and thus was left out along with other TV-show-only people like King Tut and Liberace (he did play himself as a villain, didn't he?).

I seem to remember that I also left out such bizarre/awful/wonderful villains as the Condiment King, Mortimer Kadaver, the Corrosive Man, Anarky and Ally Babble. The one that I genuinely regret leaving out due to his importance is the Mad Hatter.

Post 9

J

Well here's your chance to write a new entry. 'Batman's Really Rogue Gallery' smiley - smiley

smiley - blacksheep

Post 10

U168592

or update the old one *nudge nudge wink wink*

Post 11

That's the problem, though. If I update it, I would pretty much have to put *all* of them in there, and it would become far too long and, ultimately, rather boring. Which is why I made the decision not be be absolutely comprehensive. It's very rare with h2g2 entries that you can be truly comprehensive. I think it's best to let it stand as an introduction to Batman's Rogues Gallery and if people are truly intrigued, then they can find out more elsewhere. smiley - smiley

Take the X-Men as another example. If you included every mutant who has ever been on the team, you'd have a very very long entry indeed, and Batman and his villains have a headstart of over two decades on the Marvel-ous mutants. A completely comprehensive listing of the X-Men would become dull for anyone but the most ardent X-head, who would probably read about them on an X-Men site rather than here.

Just my smiley - 2cents.

David

Post 12

U168592

Indeed, agree totally smiley - smiley (still think the Mad Hatter needs a mention though smiley - tongueout)

MJ

(oh anyone fancy being the Sub-Editor for this project?)

Post 13

J

Maybe I'll write an entry on Milton Berle smiley - smiley Not for this project, naturally.
(Unless there was a Milton Berle-man Comic, of course.)

To potential subs, I highly recommend MJ's words. Easy to edit. If I were still a sub, I'd do it, but I can't and you can't make me.

smiley - blacksheep

Post 14

Wrong time of year for me, as I don't have enough spare time in Sept/Oct to take on something like this. smiley - sadface I enjoy subbing, but am aware that I would do a very poor job this time of year. Sorry.

Post 15

Tony2Times/Prof. Chaos

I was wondering if there was any kind of style you'd like us to uniform to? You know so that they are all cohesive with eachother, like starting off with a profile or intro, having certain topics in certain orders with certain subheaders etc. makes it seem like a group work I feel.

Would look good if they are all linked up and they all have the same information, especially the intro bio like you and I have MJ.

Something like: hero name, name, occupation, costume etc.

Just an idea

Post 16

U168592

I'd thought that if they looked like all the other Entries about Comic Book Heroes already in the EG we'd be on to a winner. They pretty much conform to a basic style of Intro, Back Story, Equipment (if appropriate) Friends and Enemies, History and Other Information. That way you can lend you're own style to the writing, but have a basic formula to work to. Check out Batman, Spider-Man, Daredevil, Hellboy and Punisher (all linked to on the Project page smiley - smiley)

MJ

Post 17

Tony2Times/Prof. Chaos

A6088629

That much I've done so far and hopefully will add more and more as time goes by, but I thought you might wana take a butcher's first and see if its up to standard as Superman is not my forte.

Post 18

I've had a brief look and it's a good start. A media section would be good, including the various film and television adaptations and the Broadway musical 'It's a Bird, It's a Plane, It's Superman' (which is more fun that it should be!). If you'd like some help with some brief info on his allies and enemies, give me a shout. I'm a bit of a DC smiley - geek.

Post 19

U168592

You need to tick the 'Not for Revoew' box too Tony, so it doesn't get blasted into PR by some good samaritan smiley - winkeye

Great start though smiley - smiley

(is doing Iron Man and Silver Surfer and Hulk offsite)

Post 20

Tony2Times/Prof. Chaos

I normally do mine off site but I just wanted to give it to the onceover with GuideML scripted, but I slipped on the laptop when I pressed preview and it saved it, so I thought you might as well see how its coming along. Think I might put a sign up saying under construction, in fact yes, yes I shall

Key: Complain about this post