A Conversation for Raffles Institution

Flea Market: A1059518 - Raffles Institution

Post 1

The H2G2 Editors

Entry: Raffles Institution - A1059518
Author: Ryan D Lim - U228778

Moved from Peer Review. Nominated and seconded!

A1059518 - Raffles Institution

Post 2

MiniMy

would like to try my hand at this though i do not know how successful it will be.

mini
smiley - zoom

Post 3

Geggs

Oh good.

I've occasionally wondered whether something more could be made of this entry, though I've not be entirely sure which way it should go. To be honest, I'd rather like to hear more about Sir Thomas Stamford Raffles, as I know little about him, but the slight reference in this entry is an interesting one.

Would you happen to know if there is a connection to the Raffles Hotel, Singapore (a place that Derek Nimmo was known to frequent)?

Geggs

Post 4

MiniMy

as far as I know the school has nothing to do with the hotel. A few things in singapore are named after Raffles because he was the "founder" of the island.
I am not sure whether i am the best person to write this article as I am not singaporean and have only heard bits and pieces from friends.
However, working on it now and hopefully it will be up (work permitting) in a week or so in peer review.
thanks. smiley - smiley

mini
smiley - zoom

Post 5

Geggs

I suspected that it might be a general singaporean naming trend. Thanks for clearing that up!

I'm looking forward to see your entry in PR.smiley - ok

Geggs

Post 6

MiniMy

thought that I should add a note that the new version has been accepted into the EG.

mini

Post 7

Kerr_Avon - hunting stray apostrophes and gutting poorly parsed sentences

Get over to A845390 then!

smiley - ale

Post 8

Bluebottle

Edited as: A2654705 Raffles Institution, Singapore
Back to Entry

<BB<