A Conversation for Nauru

Thread Moved

Post 21

h2g2 auto-messages

Editorial Note: This conversation has been moved from 'Peer Review' to 'Nauru'.

This thread has been moved out of the Peer Review Forum because your entry has now been recommended for the Edited Guide.

You can find out what will happen to your entry here: http://www.h2g2.com/SubEditors-Process

Congratulations!

Thread Moved

Post 22

Lonnytunes - Winter Is Here

Joe, your article will now be sent to a sub editor for a bit of final polishing. It will appear on the front page of h2g2 in roughly 4-5 weeks time. When that happens your life will never be the same again smiley - biggrin

You probably still have a few days to add some info about the current happenings in Nauru to the yarn.

Well done
Loony

Thread Moved

Post 23

Mr. Cogito

I seem to recall reading somewhere that Nauru was looking into offshore banking and being an international data haven (like Sealand) for additional revenue. I think Wired News covered it last year. In any case, congrats! smiley - smiley

Thread Moved

Post 24

Mr Cogito, numerous banks did set up branches in Nauru - almost literally a name-plate nailed to a branch.

As it didn't take long for various mafia to start money-laundering operations using the facilities, the IMF and World Bank had to step in. I'm not sure of its current status as a tax/banking haven.

Thread Moved

Post 25

Dancer (put your advert here)

Congs.
smiley - bubblysmiley - smiley

Peace,
smiley - hsif
Dancer

Sub-Editing

Post 26

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Moron

I have been assigned to sub-edit this entry. The new version is at http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A634646, but it's unlikely that I'll get to it until next week.

Two Bit Trigger Pumping Yank
After all, all he did was string together a lot of old, well-known quotations. -- H. L. Mencken, on Shakespeare

Sub-Editing

Post 27

smiley - laugh I'll have to remember this one smiley - smiley

At the risk of sounding extremely stupid, who is/was H. L. Mencken?

smiley - hsif
Dancer

Sub-Editing

Post 28

I don't know. I don't even know where I found it. I recently uncovered a file full of quotes that caught my eye when I was on BBS's.

Sub-Editing

Post 29

I like quotes smiley - smiley

smiley - winkeyesmiley - winkeye
[email protected]

smiley - hsif
Dancer

Sub-Editing

Post 30

I just finished subbing the entry.

Sub-Editing

Post 31

This made Nauru one of the richest countries in the third world.

Nauru has never been classed as being in the third world. the above par should read...

This made Nauru one of the richest countries, per head of population, in the world.

You may want to include something about the main sources of income now come from being a tax haven, hosting many offshore banks and through the sale of postage stamps.

Sub-Editing

Post 32

I was checking it against the CIA Factbook and a couple of other encyclopedias. They specifically said third world.

Sub-Editing

Post 33

While Nauru may be heading for Third World status, it is not there yet. The phosphate extracting countries paid millions of dollars to the countries 12,000 citizens in reparations in the 80s and 90s. It has not all been spent.

In light of the current world happenings, I suggest the CIA Factbook contains, at best, outdated dodgy information.

And I have been there...

Key: Complain about this post