A Conversation for The H2G2 Programmers' Corner

CSS

Post 1

Pirate Alexander LeGray

I can't get my text to align justified in a paragraph box of fixed width using the property text-align:justified;.

CSS

Post 2

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

Can you give a link to an uploaded version? smiley - geek

CSS

Post 3

Pirate Alexander LeGray

In firefox in the tools / error console look for stylesheet1280.css at site address

http://www.arithmetic.890m.com

CSS

Post 4

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

It's a typo. The property you want is "justify", but what you've typed is "justified".

CSS

Post 5

Pirate Alexander LeGray

fantasticsmiley - tasmiley - seniorsmiley - artist

CSS

Post 6

Pirate Alexander LeGray

All done now, until I want something else, all I have left to do is put in some content.smiley - erm

The page 'Cascading Sheets Level 2' is exactly what I wanted; CSS at about degree level. Talking about degree level I've been looking at an old textbook and he does things differently to the way I planned to proceed. But I still intend to try and do things as planned. It'll just be different.smiley - biggrin

CSS

Post 7

Pirate Alexander LeGray

Opera is even better than firefox, showing ny link to actually work as intended.smiley - biggrin

CSS

Post 8

DoctorMO (Keeper of the Computer, Guru, Community Artist)

Remember to use Firebug in Firefox for testing and debugging. it's invaluable since it has a css editor.

CSS

Post 9

Pirate Alexander LeGray

Thankyou, I achieved the impossible today and nearly started to understand CSS. I actually managed to declare a table as a child of a div, aha but children are not like descendants in C++, they do not acquire all the properties of this sort of foster parent, these properties are fixed by ancestors higher up the document tree unless altered in a declaration block for the child.

But the child is treated like a child of divs in the document when it is in divs own space.smiley - biggrin

CSS

Post 10

Pirate Alexander LeGray

W3C cannot validate my CSS because its got
the string opacity=50 in it, does that mean IE is dead?
Well it's getting on my nerves anywaysmiley - smiley

CSS

Post 11

I don't know where you're using that, but it would more likely be either opacity:50; or opacity="50" depending on the context.

CSS

Post 12

Pirate Alexander LeGray

This is from W3schools.com/css/css_image_transparency.asp

div.transbox
{
width: 400px;
height: 180px;
margin: 30px 50px;
background-color: #ffffff;
border: 1px solid black;
filter:alpha(opacity=60);
opacity:0.6;
}

and works on the site and in my IE
but doesn't parse for W3C validation.
smiley - seniorsmiley - smiley

CSS

Post 13

Pirate Alexander LeGray

forgot my complete string is filter:alpha(opacity=50) in braces

CSS

Post 14

Pirate Alexander LeGray

Ahhh, my badge disapeared from view in internet explorer, I've had to
go back to Opera.smiley - erm

CSS

Post 15

I suspect the reason it doesn't pass W3C validation is because "filter:" is an IE-specific extension to CSS, not part of the W3C standard. If it works in any browser other than IE that's a sign of tolerance on that browser's part, not standards compliance.

CSS

Post 16

Pirate Alexander LeGray

I think microsoft choose to ignore the rules because they
think they are the standard and rule the world. My favorite browser
is now Opera, because everything works right.smiley - smiley

CSS

Post 17

Pirate Alexander LeGray

I think I will go about making some transparent images instead,
and stick microsofts filter where the sun don't shine.smiley - smiley

CSS

Post 18

If you use PNG transparency you'll need to add some workarounds to make it work in IE. But at least then it will work in pretty much everything. smiley - winkeye

http://24ways.org/2007/supersleight-transparent-png-in-ie6

CSS

Post 19

unisyc

> I think microsoft choose to ignore the rules because they
> think they are the standard and rule the world.

Quite true, until now, apparently. IE8 is supposed to have its "Super Standards" mode on by default (read: following the herd... several years after the herd moved on). smiley - tongueout

I just gave up trying to get things to work in IE (6 or 7). If it doesn't work in IE, then switch to a better browser, dammit. *gets all worked up*

Mind you, I tried the IE8 beta and it couldn't render *anything* properly. smiley - rolleyes Not. Even. Google. Dammit.

Opera's a great browser (and highly standards-compliant), but I prefer Firefox (version 3 is supposed to be highly standards-compliant, too, and I've had no troubles with it thus far).

CSS

Post 20

Opera 10 Alpha(?) is allegedly the first browser *ever* to score 100% on the "Acid3" test. But I'm sure Firefox will too by the time it's released. (Currently somewhere around 81%, I think...)

Key: Complain about this post

CSS

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more