A Conversation for The H2G2 Programmers' Corner

Post 141

Moonglum Clampflower (MornC), Muse of Ego, Keeper of the Lamp and Guru, (aka Happinose)

Aahh yes!! but can you code in Logo??

Very suprised to see that BBC Basic is still going. All those VDU commands! What model of beeb are you using?

smiley - crescentmoonsmiley - biggrin

Post 142

Dancer (put your advert here)

Hi Pete, youre in smiley - biggrin

Please read post 120 of this conversation.

smiley - hsif
Dancer

Post 143

Zoing, an italian geek

Language: Java, C++, VBA
Database: data modeling, Oracle

Post 144

Added smiley - ok

Welcome, I'm going off to bed smiley - sleepy

smiley - hsif
Dancer (smiley - zzz)

Post 145

Pete, never to have a time-specific nick again (Keeper of Disambiguating Semicolons) - Born in the Year of the Lab Rat

I didn't use a Beeb, I used an A3000, which turned out to be almost the 32-bit (or, strictly, 26-bit) equivalent in schools. My dad bought one because there weren't any IBM clones available. (What are the chances of that happening these days?)

I was learning how to use SYS commands to create a GUI for the program - I could never get it to work, even with the tutorial "Wimp Programming for All". RISC OS's window manager is referred to as the Wimp, and its system call names start with "Wimp_", eg. "Wimp_Initialise". To create a GUI from scratch you have to fiddle about with SYS commands which are basically software interrupts. It's very fiddly - you have to set up "parameter blocks" which are big spaces of memory on the heap, probably at least 256 bytes long, and you pass these parameters by indirection. There are a lot of surprising kluges in BBC BASIC V and VI to allow Wimp programming, and it's actually easier to learn it using C (not that I ever had a compiler).

Removed

Post 146

Sinclair

This post has been removed.

Post 147

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

It's all right, Sinclair - GuideML doesn't work in threads anyway! smiley - smiley

Post 148

lw - ck

Nooooooooooooo, Hi Rajiv smiley - winkeye. Dancer will come along and sort you out. If your in the seventh grade how old are you? We may have a new youngest member!

smiley - angelCksmiley - devil

Post 149

Hi there Rajiv.

If you look at the corners' page you can see every programmer wrote something about their knowledge.

We can do one of 3 things:

1. You ish to leave your introduction as it is in the thread above (that'll make it kind of different, but different isn't such a bad thing smiley - winkeye

2. You can write something closer to the "standart" format

3. I can write something closer to the "standart" format using what I learned about you from your post.

So what say you, do you choose door number 1, door 2 or the all too easy door nubmer 3?

smiley - hsif
Dancer (smiley - blue but coping)

Post 150

some bloke who tried to think of a short, catchy, pithy name and spent five sleepless nights trying but couldn't think of one

I just realised I forgot to mention SQL and PL/SQL as languages I know.

Post 151

Well, it is too late, you've been here too long, so I can't change it!

Naa, just kidding, I'll add it right awat smiley - winkeye

smiley - hsif
Dancer

Post 152

Potholer

Name : Potholer
Languages :
Main : C, C++, x86 Assembler, Postscript
Learning : HTML, PIC assembler (since 09/01)
Expired : Basic, 6502/6809 assembler, Pascal, Forth, (Prolog?)
Platfroms : PC (DOS/Win9x/WinNT), BBC Micro, VAX(VMS)
Interests : Electronics, imaging, hardware

Post 153

Amazingly enough youre in, please refare to the famous Post 120 of this conversation smiley - smiley

As to Rajiv Sinclair, I'll wait for you to respond to this as you seem to be a "one timer"... and also you didn't answer my question.

smiley - hsif
Dancer (keep a smile on your face)

Post 154

Pete, never to have a time-specific nick again (Keeper of Disambiguating Semicolons) - Born in the Year of the Lab Rat

You've put me up as knowing Gtk+. But all I said was that I was going to look at it!

Post 155

smiley - blush Emmm...

I trusted you to be quick smiley - smiley

I'll remove for now smiley - ok

smiley - hsif
Dancer

Post 156

dynamex

Hello!

Languages: Pascal, Delphi 2 & 4, Java. Tampered with some C++.
Learning: Assembler, C++.
Technologies: TCP/IP, OOP, WIMP and tile-based games. smiley - smiley
Platforms: Windows, MS-DOS, Linux.
Other: HTML, CSS. Made an IRC-client. smiley - smiley
Interests: Making nice object hierarchy and planning my code too much.

Post 157

SORRY smiley - grovel

Neglected my duties smiley - steam

Will run and add you instantly smiley - run

smiley - hsif
Dancer

Post 158

Done smiley - ok

smiley - hsif
Dancer

Post 159

Researcher 178815

Me too please? smiley - smileysmiley - grovel

Right, Languages: Java (script.. not the applet one..YET!) HTML (of course) GuideML (okay now I'm just being stupid smiley - biggrin), WML and Basic smiley - smiley

How young is CK? just wondering I might beat the record at 15? Anyway Hi smiley - smiley

smiley - coolakasmiley - cool

Post 160

Researcher 178815

oops...

okay, let me do that again...

Languages: Javascript, HTML, WML, GuideML (bit obvious really..) Basic...

Learning: Still learning javascript smiley - smiley

Technologies: smiley - erm

Platforms: Windows, umm....

Other: smiley - erm

Interests: Spending hours and hours on something that needs to look good when in the end it's not going to be used by many people and even if, not for long smiley - erm In other words I can be a bit of a perfectionist! smiley - biggrin

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more