A Conversation for Talking Point: Technology that's Supposed to be Helpful... but Isn't

digital clocks in everything

Post 1

Researcher 182562

And then your electricity goes out, and a whole house is filled with blinking clocks set to the wrong time - VCR, Microwave, stove, every radio in the house....

Post 2

Researcher 179388

And your 18 year old son can't tell the time on analogue clocks without a great deal of effort, in spite of having a Thomas the Tank Engine Watch when he was 4!!!

Post 3

gj101

Just did an inventory in the kitchen. One on the oven, one on the microwave and one on the radio.

Oh, and there's a real clock on the wall - what's the point of that?

gj101

Post 4

It wasn't me

Well, that one runs on batteries, so it's purpose is to provide a timereference when all the digital clocks are blinking after a power failure.

Post 5

Researcher 182562

The one on the wall is the only one I ever really use for deciding what time it is. But to go in my kitchen at night in the dark is an eerie experience. Who chose that odd blue color as the color of time?

Post 6

It wasn't me

A scary night alone with the really frightening digital blue killer clocks !!
What will happen to our hero?
Stay tuned!

Too bad the don't tick, that's why you've got to have a non-digital clock, so the continuous ticking ads to the effect.

Post 7

Gadgeteer

I agree that clocks on everything is a pain.

Twice a year you have to adjust them all by one hour - you always miss at least one. And how many of them only adjust upwards? And then only in minutes - so that to go back by one hour you have to advance by 23 hours, one minute at a time!

The habit of putting clocks in all appliances also encourages many manufacturers to skimp on the devices. So having set all your clocks to the same time (again, assuming you found them all), how many of them agree on the time after one month? I have some clocks that are hours out already. But heck, as I don't use those ones for telling the time, what's the point of constantly correcting them.

Post 8

Researcher 207065

Anyone notice how the more complex our technology gets (as a whole), the more simple our race becomes (as a whole)? Does it bother anyone to think that if removed from our technologically augmented world, most of our kind would die out? Maybe it's just me...but I'm worried.

Post 9

Researcher Eo Formaly known as the Evil Doctor Fish

Yes right you are, if tecnology climbs human's fall... and if there were no digital clocks, no human save for the very very... very old could ever tell time again! And then were would we be? Well I'll tell you we would be LATE! Of course them people might be happier because they would get to sleep in... but you're much happier with a digital watch i find... If you know how to set one of the little buggers!

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more