A Conversation for Talking Point: Technology that's Supposed to be Helpful... but Isn't

Things that go bleep

Post 21

Bob Gone for good read the jornal

fogitten the name oif the machene but t is in a hospital, actully take your pick they all make an anoying bleeping sound at some point but some of them I am shure of it are programend to go off just when you are about to go to sleep so it wakes you up againe

Things that go bleep

Post 22

Treasure

More bleepers...

This stupid smiley - bleeping computer.
Radio 4
smiley - bleeping annoying adverts on the tv for mobile ringtones
The "door closing" warnings on the train

And believe it or not, yesterday I had lunch with a friend who was complaining that her digital watch no longer smiley - bleeped whenever she pressed a button. Evolution, what evolution?

Things that go bleep

Post 23

gj101

Some more things that go bleep:
smiley - star My car radio if I stop the car and open the door without removing the radio. It emits three quite bleeps.
smiley - star My car if I stop and open the door with the lights on.
smiley - star My car when the fuel gague goes into the red (quite a nice sort of poiggn sound).
smiley - star My microwave when I press any of the buttons on it (to warn me that the buttons are being pressed I suppose).
smiley - star Those mats inside small corner shops to alert the owner that they have a customer.

gj101

Things that go bleep

Post 24

Peregrin

Oooh yes hospitals - that reminds me;

When I last spent a night in hospital they had one of those inflatable things around my arm to measure my blood pressure, and a clothes peg type gadget on my finger to measure my pulse. The pulse one would go bleep quietly every heartbeat, but as it was regular I got used to it. But the pressure thing would inflate itself every half an hour to record changes in my blood pressure. Whenever I started to doze off, this damn thing would inflate and wake me up again. Eventually I got sick of the thing and took it off, and it inflated like a balloon and caused the machine to start panicking, and went off in a string of alarming bleeps. Nobody took any notice though - I guess they were used to it.

Things that go bleep

Post 25

gj101

smiley - star Those metal detector doors that you have to walk through in airports.
smiley - star The bing-bong tone that preceeds announcements on planes (and in lost of other places)
smiley - star Cash registers

Things that go bleep

Post 26

gj101

smiley - star Fire Engines
smiley - star Police Cars
smiley - star Ambulances
smiley - star "Merchandise control systems" in shops
smiley - star Bar-code readers
smiley - star Tesco checkout scanners

Things that go bleep

Post 27

Peregrin

Oooh how about those security wotnots that are springing up in all shop entrances, and are meant to go smiley - bleepsmiley - bleepsmiley - bleep if you nick something, but tend to go smiley - bleepsmiley - bleepsmiley - bleep whenever you walk through with a personal stereo, digital watch, compass, shoe, anything.

Things that go bleep

Post 28

Jools

To digress a minute, more annoying than a garbage truck that bleeps when reversing is one that goes 'Bleeoop... This Vehicle... Is... Reversing!' whenever you put the thing in reverse. It was funny the first morning I heard it, but not for the sixty-odd mornings since, and I see no chance of it becoming funnier with time.

Things that go bleep

Post 29

Peregrin

Yup, not to mention completely confusing anyone who doesn't speak English. I can just imagine some Japanese tourist standing there wondering what the h**l that strange mechanical voice is saying, just before being flattened. smiley - winkeye

Things that go bleep

Post 30

Franacropan

I had noticed that if I logged on to read my e-mails before tea time, my Yahoo Messenger would make the sound that alerts you to an incoming instant message. Of course I would eagerly click it, only to find it in its no message mode, crushing dissapointment. This would happen over and over until this evening I heard the sound when the machine wasn't even switched on. It would appear that the TV programme my daughter watches (Card catchers I think) is punctuated throughout with this sound.

Things that go bleep

Post 31

T´mershi Duween

Re:posting 19.

Yeah! I´m a cabdriver and a month ago my regular car was stolen so I had to use another for awhile.First time I went on the freeway and hit
120km/Hour this loud smiley - bleep appeared twice a second.It scared the s**t out of me and my passengers since this is not usual in cabs in Denmark.Turned out it could b removed in 15 minutes at the garage, the boss just hadnt got around to ít (the car was 5 months old, but I guess boss´es are smiley - bleepingly busy)and noone had bothered to tell me about it.So I told him the smiley - bleeping truth about a car that goes of with loud at 120 on the freeway and the safety involved.I was smiley - bleeping mad!!! smiley - smiley

Things that go bleep

Post 32

Kaz

I don't think I can beat that,(!) but I have a phone that makes a sort of purring smiley - bleep noise when I get a text message. Trouble is, if I recieve more than one in one go, it goes twice, very fast, and is as a result, twice as irritating! I wish I could turn the damn thing off. smiley - smiley

Things that go bleep

Post 33

Kaz

That was re: posting 20 by the way, Oops!

Things that go bleep

Post 34

T´mershi Duween

smiley - bleep

smiley - aliensmile

smiley - monster

smiley - ghost

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more