A Conversation for Puns and Other Word Play

Misnoprunciation

Post 1

Uncle Ghengis

Does anyone else (intentionally) mispronunciate words? (or even missspel them on purpose?)

I particluarly *like* the sound of some mispronunciations. Especially multisyllabic words which can be 'internally spoonerized' like...

Optocus, Hecilopter, Claculator, Tevelision, etc...
(well you get the idea...)

I also intentionally reverse my ricochet words. (reversing the word order is know as "hysteron-proteron", but of course I'd call it "proteron-hysteron"... This gives rise to a slightly naive non-native speaker effect when you say...

Pamby-Namby or Nilly-Willy, Pong-Ping, Pocus-Hocus, Jumbo-Mumbo, etc.

Well. I expect I'm the only one then...

Misnoprunciation

Post 2

Metal Chicken

On the internally spoonerised multisyllabic fellas, I've also been known to use hecilopter. I habitually say tephelone and do enjoy this kind of playful word scrambling.
So you're definitely not the only one. Well, maybe you are on the ricochet words smiley - winkeye

Misnoprunciation

Post 3

Uncle Ghengis

I think for the hecilopter words we should really call them
"Spooronisms" ...

Misnoprunciation

Post 4

SANDWULLIE

I like this i used to do this at school they were

Dont get smucking fart ya billy sastard smiley - laugh.
Or
Oh you think your a cunny funt do ya smiley - laugh.

The good thing you can use it without getting a telling from anyone smiley - ok.

Misnoprunciation

Post 5

U695218

Of course there was the 70's band "Cunning Stunts".

Misnoprunciation

Post 6

lord_gollum

The ones I like are the unintentional ones

Erotic bowel movement

hors de ovre is one I purposely like saying

Ewww de toilet

are just some of the ones I like

Misnoprunciation

Post 7

CAZZ72

I always call sicssors 'scizzers', and squirrels 'squidgels'- does this count????smiley - erm

Misnoprunciation

Post 8

Uncle Ghengis

It might not be 'spooronism' - but it's certainly misnoprunciation...

Misnoprunciation

Post 9

chiefaberach

I sometimes say caltilator instead of calculator, which came from a young boy who just couldn't say it properly. I think a lot of these come from adults copying kids. A favourite spooronism of mine is flutterbys (a kind of pun too).

Kenny Everet had a character in his 1970's TV show called Cupid Stunt smiley - laugh She was the one who always did things "in the best possible taste" (said with a flamboyant leg crossing movement)

Monty Python had a brilliant Spoonerism Poem which I only remember bits of. It started:

I have a gouse and harden,
An ace I call my plown.

and the last lines were:

silling by the windowflutter,
biny little tirds.

If anyone knows the rest please remind me.

Misnoprunciation

Post 10

CAZZ72

BUTTERFLIES WERE ACTUALLY CALLED FLUTTERBYS ONCE! I ALSO CALL THEM FLUTTERBYS AS THEY DO!smiley - biggrin

Misnoprunciation

Post 11

Cals_Incitatus (the boorish American)

Then there's the famous basketball player, Charles Broccoli

not necce-celery the best pun ever...

I've called people who broke wind Basty Nastards...

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more