A Conversation for Dark Matter

Ethereal connection?

Post 1

Dad n Dave

Back in the dim, dark past, there was a belief that space must be filled with something to permit the transmission of waves of light etc. The term coined at the time was the "ether" (or was it aether) and I understand that Einstein showed that there was no need for it.

Anyway, I wonder if dark matter, just perhaps, is something that does actually fulfil a function in the transmission of light and other electromagnetic radiation...

Ethereal connection?

Post 2

mowood

There was no need for the ether in Einstein's relativity theories, but he did not prove that the ether does not exist.

And one can still ask what causes the wave behaviour. Although only a small minority of physicists have ever preferred or accepted a causal interpretation of quantum wave behaviour, and even though detailed and systematic causal interpretation has been developed that is consistent with a wide range of experimental results (called bohmian meahanics or the de Broglie-Bohm interpretation).

I've concluded that the dark matter that physicists have been attempting to detect for over twenty years does not exist, and predict that something comparable to the 19th century idea of the ether as an immaterial cause will need to be reintroduced to explain quantum wave behaviour as well as the motion of stars in spiral galaxies, the behaviour of galaxies in clusters and the lensing effects that are all currently attributed to dark matter.

Ethereal connection?

Post 3

Dad n Dave

I've given this a bit of thought over a few years now and have put some of these thoughts into threads connected with an article on wave/particle duality. One is: Does matter exist and does it matter?

I suspect that what we perceive as matter is not what it seems - energy is the underlying reality. Gravity could be a measure of the "matter" that is shared between two bodies, which I think moves towards string theory. I think that there may also be a connection with fractals. It certainly is a rich area for complex thought. Unfortunately I don't know enough about it.

Ethereal connection?

Post 4

andysfoam

Mass stretches (curves) space-time, since the Hubble constant implies space-time has also been stretched since at least the cosmic background radiation began, where has all the extra energy (mass=energy)/lightspeed squared) needed to stretch space-time gone.. maybe it seeps out from zero point energy to form new subatomic particles, where the curvature of space-time is at a minimum. Such as in the cosmic voids between galaxies. New subatomic particles would fall down the gravity gradient toward the nearest galaxy.Bumping on the way into other particles to form atoms, the atoms being the missing extra mass (dark matter).If new matter is created all the time, why invent a hot big bang at all, maybe space-time was always cool, and zero point energy was hot.

Ethereal connection?

Post 5

Dad n Dave

This sounds fascinating but I am not sure that I understand fully what you are saying. Can you please elaborate?

Ethereal connection?

Post 6

andysfoam

A charged particle has energy = hf joules,no vibration = no existance! Since a point can only be approached but never arived at( there is an infinity of fractions between zero and one ),can a point particle realy exist? See pro quantum wave web site, by M. Wolff.and Matter is made of waves, at galfreniere.com/matter. Charged particles are spherical pressure standing waves. If you divide the charged particles energy by its clasical radius cubed( volume )you get a value for it's energy density at that distance from it's focus.Ignoring the energy density for a moment,the amplitude of the out going pressure wave from the particle reduces in inverse proportion to the distance from the wave center (focus), 1/r, meters. This charged particle exchanges pressure information with all the other charged particles in the universe.And since pressure changes instantly it does so faster than light, see, Speed of gravity by Tom Van Flandern, at metareasearch.org. after all the speed of sound when broken produces a pressure cone that sound's like a boom as it passes you by.Another web page also by TVF at metaresearch explains about how gravity could be a particle matter shadow effect.If in coming pressure waves press on an object from all sides equally, then another nearby object will reduce the sum of in coming waves between them.

Ethereal connection?

Post 7

andysfoam

The fact that the small amount of energy contained within a charged particle, Energy= plancks constant times a frequency, will cause an infinite amount of pressure, as the particles radius tends to zero meters, is just ignored by the standard quantum model, it prefers to cut off this pressure spike, so it virtually goes away! maybe that's why there are so many other attempts at TOE models to get around this problem. If the particle has an infinite pressure spike,does it suck in other particles energy or does it radiate energy to other particles, maybe it does both as pressure waves? If these waves interact then the infinities may tend to cancel out, without the need for virtual force carrying particles.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more