A Conversation for Talking Point: Good or Bad by Design

Dr Marten's boots

Post 1

Merseybeast

Nancy Sinatra sang 'These boots are made for walking'. She could have been singinging the theme tune for the world's greatest footwear. The foot equivalent of the VW Beetle.

Has there ever been an item of footwear so multifunctional? 10-lace hole Docs are perfect for walking in, riding motorcycles (just don't fall off now!), looking 'hard' and can even be worn under perfectly respectable trousers and look (more or less) like ordinanry shoes... and only you know that you are flounting convention! Hey, a million miles walked by a million policemen can't be wrong! Available in many different colours, jazz 'em up with funky laces... they are the perfect egalitarian shoe. Ah, the heady days of the 80's when pretty girls wore them with Laura Ashley print dresses....

Downsides? If you get a 'puncture' in that famous AirWear sole, they start to squeak alarmingly, they're pricey to repair properly and they do stink after prolonged wearing. But they seem to last forever.

Dr Marten's boots

Post 2

Sho - employed again!

I have to agree with you. And if you come over here, you'll see me wear mine with everything. And for my birthday as a special treat I'm getting some green velvet ones for evening wear. Can't wait.

Dr Marten's boots

Post 3

cafram - in the states.

I've had mine for at least 6 years now, I wear them almost every day, and although the grip on the sole has long since dissappeared (just watch me slip over smiley - winkeye) they are still the most comfortable and versatile shoes I own smiley - biggrin

Dr Marten's boots

Post 4

Peet (the Pedantic Punctuation Policeman, Muse of Lateral Programming Ideas, Eggcups-Spurtle-and-Spoonswinner, BBC Cheese Namer & Zaphodista)

I had a lot of problems with the higher, 13-hole variety... The inside surface was designed to grip your sock so they wouldn't move up and down when you were walking and cause blisters. This is a good idea, as far as it goes, but it made actually putting them on a nightmare! The little ribbon loops at the top tore off in a matter of weeks (nomination for "bad design" there...) and in the end I had to keep a pair of pliers next to the bed for pulling them on with!

Dr Marten's boots

Post 5

Tabitca

The boots take for ever to wear in I've found but in summer I wear Doc Marten sandels,,,,,,they look like kids sandels with a T bar and decorative holes in the front. Everyone loves them....I've seen a few pairs round campus since I got mine. The god thing about DOC's is they last for ever and once you've worn them in are great for walking.

Dr Marten's boots

Post 6

Sho - employed again!

Old soldiers will tell you that the best way to soften up your boots is to pee in them and leave it overnight...... I wouldn't recommend that. When I was a soldier, the girly equivalent was to soak, then wring out and crumple up newspaper and stuff that in your boots and leave overnight. You then have to wear the boots as much as possible before they really dry out, then cover... nay slather them with polish and, again, leave overnight, give them a good brush next day. Well, it seemed to help...

Key: Complain about this post