A Conversation for Selected Pretentious Literary Terminology

Tautology

Post 1

Dinsdale Piranha

The one that has me saying 'Tautology!' as a sort of knee-jerk reaction is when people talk of '4am in the morning', or whatever.

Two other errors that I just can't leave alone are 'less' instead of 'fewer' and 'infer' instead of 'imply'.

What a sad git smiley - smiley

Tautology

Post 2

Pete, never to have a time-specific nick again (Keeper of Disambiguating Semicolons) - Born in the Year of the Lab Rat

An example of tautology in this very entry:

Iamb: see 'Iambic Pentameter' (qv).

The (qv) is unnecessary because the reader has already been referred there with the word 'see'. ('qv' stands for 'quod vide', meaning 'which see'.) An example of typical usage of this:

William Shakespeare made extensive use in his sonnets of the iambic pentameter (qv).

Tautology

Post 3

Pete, never to have a time-specific nick again (Keeper of Disambiguating Semicolons) - Born in the Year of the Lab Rat

Personally, my ears fold up and my eardrums crack whenever I see that advert for washing powder: 'for less creases after the wash'.

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

Tautology

Post 4

Alexandria

So I'm not the only person who yells 'IT'S *FEWER* CREASES!' at the TV? :D

Tautology

Post 5

Dinsdale Piranha

It seems that there are at least three of us. Why do people have so much trouble with this? It's a fairly easy concept to grasp.

So - where do you all stand on apostrophe abuse? The sort of people who would write "apostrophe's" as a plural?

Tautology

Post 6

Perhaps they weren't taught proprely at school how to use them, or maybe their English teachers ignored such mistakes. If they did (and I'm not suggesting that most do) they don't deserve their jobs, or at least should be told off.

Tautology

Post 7

Alexandria

Apo'strophe abu'se drive's me nut's. smiley - winkeye

Tautology

Post 8

Spiff

For those who like this kind of thing, I just thought I would point out that there is another terrific word to describe this kind of redundancy in sentences. In French it is the standard term for the "4am in the morning" kind of mistake, but it is also a valid English word to be found in Chambers:

Pleonasm - redundancy, esp. of words: a redundant expression.

Just for fun! smiley - smiley

Tautology

Post 9

Hee hee...

IMO, decent punctuation is more important than perfect spelling.

Tautology

Post 10

Researcher 196572

It's a good thing to use an apostrophe, but its time is not now.

In America, they sell computers with an ad saying 'Think different' with Einstein or some other keeper of the flame. I personally 'think differently,' enjoying only beige as a color for my computer.

Key: Complain about this post