A Conversation for Talking Point: What's Your Favourite/Least Favourite Building and Why?

My humble opinion

Post 1

PANAMA

My favorite building: the Palace of Fine Arts in the Marina District of San Francisco. The last remnants of the Pan Pacific Exposition. It includes the dome which is a perfect parabola and allows all kinds of wierd sound effects and the pond outside with the lush lawn, and ducks and dozens of really great classic victorian houses typical of San Francisco.

My least favorite building is a tie: The new Cathedral of Los Angeles and the Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles.

The Cathedral is a big box with the Superior Court of Los Angeles on one side (famous for the unjustified aquittal of O.J. Simpson for the murder of his ex wife and her 'friend') and the Hollywood Freeway on the other side. Two completely soul-less structures. The Cathedral itself, is unlike any church I have ever seen. It exudes hostility, looking more like a military installation than a church. When you approach it, you are left with the sense that you should not be there. (A real church leaves you with the impression that you are welcome)

The Disney Concert Hall looks like a crumpled tin that once held a fast food item. I have tried photographing and I cannot find any angle or aspect that is commendable.

Key: Complain about this post

My humble opinion

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more