A Conversation for Sun Tzu

When the enemy presents openings...

Post 1

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

"When the enemy presents openings, penetrate immediately"

I've read the tactics of the Mongolian army (Dengis Chan etc.) actually centered around fake retreats and ambushes !? 'Penetrate immediately' then was the worst you could do!

Post 2

Merangadan

The Mongolian army was a completely different kettle of fish!
You have to take into account that their were such strict rules in volved in how war should be waged and battles fought that you cant compare foreign tacticts to that period of Japan and China, a bit like trying to use the Sicilian defence from chess in a game of draughts. For example when the Mongols first invaded Japan the Japaniese force that fist encounterd them were desimated, taken by surprise by the completely in ordered and ireverent approch the Mongul army had. Apart from their cultures their were other great differenced between these forces. Their weapons for example, The Mongols often using poorly made flexible swords designed to hack down from their mounts, that had served them so well against unarmed, or unmounted foes were of no use when against the strong, solid and razor sharp swords of the trained Japaniese forces. As shown when small groups of Samurai (6 or 8) rowed out to the Mongol invasion fleet and fought them on their own boats, winning easily, out numbered fighting at close quarters sword to sword.

"Penetrate imediatly" may have been the worst thing you could have done in the Mongol army, but Sun Tzu wasn't talking in respect of the Mongol army.
Are you disagreeing with me for posting it or him for writing it?

Thanks for reading it, I'm going to make a few changes any suggestions?
Merangadan smiley - biggrin

Post 3

Monsignore Pizzafunghi Bosselese

'Disagreeing?' Naaah! I was just wondering how those ideas and bits in my memory were fitting together. smiley - smiley
Yes, of course tactics have to be matched to the surroundings (weaponry & technology of the time) in order to be successful. Or they have to be interpreted and adapted to another setting.

Looking back, this might be worth to be said in the entry!

Post 4

Merangadan

Gotcha!, will do!

Merangadan smiley - biggrin

Post 5

Egriega

Do we think the Taliban or Al Qaeda have read the art of war?

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more