This is the Message Centre for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

frustration of buying a new computer

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I haven't bought a new PC yet, but I expect hassles.

Every computer has a unique IP address. This means that when I plug in my Internet cable, it won't recognize the new machine, which will need to be reregistered. If the ISP requires verification by text message, I'm sunk.

I might be able to log onto my gmail account, but getting into this site could be a hassle.

I may be pulling out my hair before this is over.

has anyone else gone through this process? How did you cope?

Post 2

Blue-Eyed BiPedal BookWorm from Betelgeuse (aka B4[insertpunhere])

smiley - dontpanic
Paul,
Do you have your email on your smartphone, as well?
It can act as the go-between while you're setting up the new PC on your network connection.
smiley - cool
B4allthelittlebytescometumblingoutontothefloor

Post 3

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

I don't recall having any problems whatsoever when I got my new computers smiley - huh

Of course It asked a number of questions - like what was my name, address and email-address and so on, but after that everything went smoothly smiley - shrug

smiley - pirate

Post 4

smiley - smiley
I second the info that Pierce provided. Let the "new PC box" OS run thru its paces, answer all the questions, and let it do the initial setup. After that, Bob's yer Uncle...!
smiley - ok
B4wemakeitmorecomplicatedthannecessary

Post 5

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

F1926355?thread=3755901

smiley - winkeyesmiley - whistlesmiley - winkeye

Post 6

I don't have a Smartphone.

I bought an iphone today, and most of it is incomprehensible to me.

Post 7

smiley - dontpanic, you've got this, Bro!

Yes, it's always a hassle getting new gadgets and stuff smiley - rolleyes but you've done it before and that shows you that you can do it again smiley - ok

Bob knows I've had my challenges. I recently purchased a Google Chromecast and had to give up installing it in my first attempt. Ran out of time (and talent) but I know I can do it! smiley - ok

smiley - pirate

Post 8

I've had three computers since 1997. I set up all of them myself. I hope I am up to the task this time.

I've labelled the plugs for all the peripherals (mouse, keyboard, modem, audio cord, etc) and made a diagram of where they go. I hope the new tower has a similar arrangement.

Post 9

I have made a book of passwords and phone numbers for everything I can think of. I have the technical support number for RCN, which is my Internet service Provider. I called the number today to make sure it is still a valid number. It seems to be.

Post 10

That all sounds very sensible smiley - ok

smiley - goodlucksmiley - goodlucksmiley - goodlucksmiley - cheerup

smiley - pirate

Post 11

I'm about to start detaching the cables form my computer so I can bring it to the shop, where the files will be moved to a new computer (crosses fingers). When it will be ready, I do not know.

I will need an antivirus program, an Internet browser, and Microsoft office, of which I will only use Word.

Post 12

Which browser do you use now?

"In a blog post, Microsoft explained that the Microsoft Teams web app will no longer support Internet Explorer 11 – the most recent and final iteration of the browser - from November 30, 2020. The remaining Microsoft 365 apps and services will end support for the browser next year." [independent.co.uk]

smiley - pirate

Post 13

Reality Manipulator

I have found out through experience that the best computers are the desk top computers. Although I am using a laptop, I would rather use a desk top computer as they don't overheat like laptop computers do.

Post 14

smiley - biggrin
And, if you get one built for speed and gaming, then it'll easily handle a graphics-intensive environment like Second Life...
smiley - winkeye
B4idivulgewhereihavebeenhangingoutinsteadodhere

Post 15

Reality Manipulator

I am thinking of a getting a new desktop top and I can have it made to my needs.

Post 16

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

Sort of related, but also unrelated smiley - erm

What's your name ?
OH! Hard questions first eh!

Don't worry! smiley - ok Years ago, you'll have done it in hours, but even a few days now, you'll get theresmiley - smileybe patient!

Post 17

Here I am, logging on from my new computer.

it took five minutes to connect the cords, another five to let the antivirus do some scans, five minutes to check my email, another five to start streaming live music from my favorite radio station, and here I am at H2g2.

I worried about al sorts of disasters that didn't happen.

I need to change some passwords for my online banking and credit cards. That will be harder, but the basic connecting work is done.

(Breathes big sigh of relief. Looks up to see if the sky will fall, but is just delayed)

Post 18

SashaQ - happysad

smiley - ok

Post 19

smiley - cheerssmiley - alesmiley - ok

Post 20

Last night I couldn't get onto this site at all. Right now I got n with no trouble. smiley - huh

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more