This is the Message Centre for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Plant milkweed, and the Monarchs will come

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I looked out my window this morning and saw a Monarch butterfly sipping nectar from the Swamp Milkweed next to my porch. This seems momentous to me, though not everyone would get excited.

If, in a few weeks, I see little holes being chewed in the leaves, then I will know that eggs were laid and that caterpillars are feasting on the milkweed plant.

I have four swamp milkweeds in all, and three are in bloom. Even if the monarchs don't raise families here, I have seen the bumblebees pollinating the blossoms, so I hope I can look forward to milkweed pods.

Post 2

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

I have always enjoyed wild milk weed. A friend from the UK came here at the end of their season, and thought they were a throw-back to body snatchers and pod-people. smiley - laugh

Post 3

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Are you quite sure they are not?

smiley - pirate

Post 4

Even if there are pod people, the pods are too small to fit very big people inside. I suggest relaxing.

Post 5

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

Even small seeds can grow and become big - and even huge - erm - things smiley - erm

But I will follow your advice, paulh, and relax and smiley - dontpanicsmiley - ok

smiley - pirate

Post 6

Apparently, common milkweed does grow in a lot of EU member countries, including Denmark. It can also be "invasive," which means growing widely to the detriment of "native" species.

The catch seems to be that the point of growing milkweed is to furnish food and nectar for Monarch butterflies. If a country doesn't have Monarch butterflies, why bother to grow milkweed there, unless, like Hungary, you intend to let your honeybees make honey from the nectar?

Spain is a special case. it has some established populations of Monarch butterflies, and it also has common milkweed growing there.

You can also prepare milkweed as a vegetable for your dining needs.

http://www.annarbor.com/entertainment/food-drink/you-can-eat-this-but-should-you-1/#:~:text=Common%20milkweed%20can%20be%20made,an%20essential%20plant%20for%20monarchs.&text=There%20are%20three%20times%20in,when%20you%20can%20eat%20it.&text=The%20milkweed%20contains%20a%20milky,latex%2C%20cardenolides%20and%20other%20constituents.

If this is food for thought, bon appetit!

Key: Complain about this post

More Conversations for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more