This is the Message Centre for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I'm a bit nerdy

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

I took this online test:
http://openpsychometrics.org/tests/NPAS/

It was recommended by The Post, and I thank them for that.

People who self-identify themselves as nerds have some common traits, which the people who designed the test organized, and developed into a test. It was a little scary to see some questions that were almost exactly the way I thought (I would rather read than talk, and one of the questions came close to expressing this thought smiley - yikes).

I 50 is an average score, and 70 is the highest possible degree of nerdiness (sp?), then my score (61) is somewhat nerdy though not extreme.

Therev was a list of words, and quiz-takers were asked to indicate the ones that they were sure they could define. I remember that there were only three words I wasn't sure of. Wouldn't you know I wish I had thought to jot them down and then look them up and elarn them smiley - erm.

My only concern had to do with the fact that when I was in high school, According to Wikipedia, the term "nerd" was "Originally derogatory..., but as with other pejoratives, it has been reclaimed and redefined by some as a term of pride and group identity."

Maybe that's all right, then. What would have been a downer of a term in the 1960s might have positive connotations now. smiley - smiley In any event, I still don't want to be put into too narrow a category, just in case. In school, you were either a nerd or a jock. I have cultivated enough athletic pursuits to pose as a jock, as long as I'm not compared to someone who is very athletic. smiley - laugh.

I'm a bit nerdy

Post 2

Reality Manipulator

The score that I got was 68.

I'm a bit nerdy

Post 3

FWR

48! Probably due to never reading a Terry Pratchett book?

I'm a bit nerdy

Post 4

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

50. Doesn't get more average than that. Only 30% of us self identify as nerds. I can live with that smiley - whistle

smiley - pirate

I'm a bit nerdy

Post 5

paulh, can't you just take the test again and see the words?

smiley - pirate

I'm a bit nerdy

Post 6

Yes, I can take it again. I'll check my social calendar and see if there's a slot open for doing that. smiley - run

I'm a bit nerdy

Post 7

Or I could just mention the words I got here smiley - winkeye

smiley - pirate

I'm a bit nerdy

Post 8

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

genius or nerd ? smiley - rungotta try this one smiley - biggrinsmiley - run

I'm a bit nerdy

Post 9

Just remember, prof, that your mileage may vary. smiley - winkeye

I'm a bit nerdy

Post 10

Prof Animal Chaos.C.E.O..err! C.E.Idiot of H2G2 Fools Guild (Official).... A recipient of S.F.L and S.S.J.A.D.D...plus...S.N.A.F.U.

score 45 smiley - ermBut hey! Then again! Modesty is hard for a genius like me smiley - whistle

I'm a bit nerdy

Post 11

Paulh, I was given three words I was not sure about and after trying to google them I'm not any wiser smiley - huh

Whatever does "florted", "cuivocal" and "verdid" mean smiley - huh

smiley - pirate

I'm a bit nerdy

Post 12

Florting is a nerdy verison of flirting.

Cuivocal and verdid are apparently nonsense words used to see how many people claim to know them. Perhaps you and I got credit for *not* saying we knew what they meant.

I'm a bit nerdy

Post 13

You can call me TC

I got 52. But how can you answer "Have you voted in a National Election in the past year" with "Yes" if there hasn't been an election?

It was rather US-centric. The question about the library for example. Only in America do people go into public libraries and spend ages there, reading and using the computers, while the kids play in the well-equipped play areas. In most European places, if you're lucky enough to have a library, you go there, hand in your books, pick out a couple of new ones, and leave. I never re-joined our library in town after it went digital some 20 years ago. When I was at work, it wasn't usually open at times I could go there, and nowadays, I just haven't got into the habit.

And WTF with the "diagnosed for autism" question? People can be nerds and still have normal social skills, can't they?

I'm a bit nerdy

Post 14

Paulh, I believe "florted" is just as much nonsense as those other words. "Flort" does only appear in *one* place and that is the Urban Dictionary which is created by nerds (!) or maybe even only geeks from the interwebs and can't be held accountable for anything.

smiley - pirate

I'm a bit nerdy

Post 15

TC, you may be right about this being rather US-centric. But I am surprised you would write "only in America do people go into public libraries and spend ages there".
Here in Denmark libraries are centers for all things cultural: Books, CD's, DVD's, concerts, work shops, computers, lectures - you name it.
I'm sure this goes for the rest of Scandinavia too and I would be surprised if it's not the same in Germany - at least in Schleswig-Holstein. Not sure about the UK but I know a friend in Bradford who uses the computers in his local library almost every day.
My local library recently merged with the municipal citizen service center, where you can get help filling out tax papers, apply for pensions, get your passport and driver's license and the like.
The library is open 24/7 but of course only staffed during the daytime.

As for the "diagnosed for autism" question: Sure, people can easily be nerds and still have normal social skills, but so can people diagnosed for autism. I find it valuable to research the boundaries.

smiley - pirate

I'm a bit nerdy

Post 16

Reality Manipulator

I did the test again and got 65. I go to the library once every two weeks for a social support group. I also listen to audio-books and I have started buying books about learning how to forecast the weather. I prefer factual books and I also learn about the weather by watching on-line videos, forums and blogs. The library in the UK is not just for getting books out, but there are audio books, ebooks and DVDs as well as community groups, housing officers as well as being used by the Jobcentre, NHS and councillors. The libraries in Thurrock are open mainly Monday to Saturday which have volunteers help run it. The library staff on Saturday are only there until 12pm and some areas in Thurrock, the libraries are closed two or three times a week.

I'm a bit nerdy

Post 17

SashaQ - happysad

It was a fun thing to do, and I also thank The Post for finding it smiley - ok

I managed to score 70 on my first go, but I think I interpreted the library question a bit too loosely - the Liverpool Central Library is a place I have spent ages in as they have computers, computer games, play areas, a cafe and a reading room smiley - ok and I am often found in my virtual library, but in public I am more often found in a museum or nature reserve these days.

This time I got 68 smiley - ok

I'm a bit nerdy

Post 18

It's all good. smiley - smiley

I'm a bit nerdy

Post 19

F1926355?thread=3190261&skip=0&show=20

smiley - winkeyesmiley - winkeyeI you don't want to be a "nerd" smiley - laugh

I'm a bit nerdy

Post 20

Sorry, I sold my sapphire leather thong in *2007*.

Key: Complain about this post

I'm a bit nerdy

More Conversations for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more