This is the Message Centre for paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

A day of power outages and concern about tobacco ads at H2G2

Post 1

paulh, vaccinated against the Omigod Variant

We have had very high winds today, with gusts to 60 miles an hour. Our local power went off around 2:00 this afternoon, and except for one brief resumption around 3:30, it stayed off until 5:00.

I happened to be on the way to the laundromat when the electricity went out. When I got the laundry back to my house it was around 2:30. As I was hanging up wet laundry, the power would go on for am minute, then off, then on again, and finally off for a couple more hour.

It's back on now. I'm heating supper at the moment.

I notice that some kind of vape is being advertised when I arrive at h2G2. I don't think this is a good thing to be advertising on this site. Just my opinion.

Post 2

Pierre de la Mer ~ sometimes slightly worried but never panicking ~

What's a vape? Is it edible? smiley - bigeyes

smiley - pirate

Post 3

Vaping is an alternative to smoking. It involves nicotine, and is addictive. It is argued that it keeps nicotine addiction alive, and can be a gateway to cigarettes. This is not what I expected to find advertised when I came to H2G2 today.

Post 4

Rev Nick - dead man walking (mostly)

Our gusts of wind surpassed the 75 mph many times across about 30 hours or so. And surprisingly - only one electrical outage. Maybe lasting 10 to 12 minutes.

I have used, and still own, some e-cigarettes. The first things out, before these fruity flavoured vaping systems. To my knowledge, there have as yet to be any studies or testings of any of these to determine health impact.

For maybe 40 years, there have been rabid campaigns to eliminate nicotine consumption IN ANY FORM. First common tobacco smoking, then secondary products like snuff and chewing tobacco. And now 'vaping'. The only products with nicotine that have NOT been immediately attacked and stomped hard - are the ones from massive pharmaceutical sources. (Nicorette anyone? Now in many forms of gum, tablets, misting, patches and probably suppositories soon.)

Post 5

It is my understanding that nicotine is the least harmful of all the substanses you inhale, chew, snuff or whatever you do.

Up to a certain quantity, that is.

But I hear a vaper is the best way to use recreational hemp.

smiley - pirate

Post 6

You can call me TC

How did you get your laundry done if there was no power?

Post 7

I think the power outages didn't affect the area where the laundromat was.

Nick, you have a point. The opponents of vaping do not, as yet, have much research to back them up. So, I might have been overreacting. In any event, the ads in question did not make me run out and want to buy their product. smiley - whistle

Post 8

Evangeline

The only ad I noticed over the last three days is a big unicef banner.

Post 9

People who live in different areas seem to see different ads.

Post 10

Evangeline

Well, being an adult and never having smoked or wanted to, the vape ad would have no effect. But, there are young researchers that might encourage and that should be considered.

Still the blue unicef banner at the top. On some pages it's the old smiley - fish on a bicycle.

Post 11

That's right, paulh, I see ads you'll never see

smiley - pirate

Post 12

You're welcome to them!

I notice that there are now no ads whatsoever! smiley - laugh

not that I'm complaining. smiley - winkeye

Post 13

Evangeline

Still Unicef ads, here. The light blue doesn't clash too much with the goo skin.

Post 14

Reality Manipulator

I keep on getting the howlogin.me adverts. I am still waiting for a visit Scotland advert.

Post 15

Massachusetts is currently prosecuting a California company that allegedly advertised e-cigarettes on websites frequented by minors. Verifying visitors' ages was the issue.
http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/2019/02/27/attorney-general-office-orders-cigarette-retailer-halt-sales-mass-saying-ads-target-minors/hFS7eIfK6vlJHClhcHar5O/story.html

I know, I know, Massachusetts is tough on tobacco but allows recreational marijuana use. smiley - shrug If that seems bonkers to you, I won't disagree. Maybe we're unhinged here because of the crazy weather. Mark twain counted 120 different kinds of weather in one 24-hour period. It must have been too much for him, as he is currently dead. smiley - winkeye

Key: Complain about this post