A Conversation for The Index Finger

Okay?

Post 1

h5ringer

<...employ the tip of the index finger and thumb to form a circle, as a visual signal meaning 'okay'>

Careful where you do this - in some parts of the world this is considered a serious insult! smiley - blush

Okay?

Post 2

Becky Lindley

And isn't pointing with one finger an insult in some countries? I heard that when speaking to someone from another country and giving directions, two fingers (index and middle, together) or the entire hand should be used.

Anyone?

Great article and seriously cute picture.

Thanks, B

Okay?

Post 3

JeezusX

"<...employ the tip of the index finger and thumb to form a circle, as a visual signal meaning 'okay'>
Careful where you do this - in some parts of the world this is considered a serious insult! "

This is true, primarily in the Middle East. It is "sign language" for the insult of "You are the son of three fathers." Hence an insult that the persons mother was an easy woman.

"And isn't pointing with one finger an insult in some countries? I heard that when speaking to someone from another country and giving directions, two fingers (index and middle, together) or the entire hand should be used.
Anyone?
Great article and seriously cute picture.
Thanks, B"

Also true, but not necessarily for giving directions. Pointing at somone is extremly rude in some countries, hence why politicians here in the US, point using a fist with a slightly extended thumb.

Another insult is what we deamed the "peace sign". It is an insult to the older generation in Japan, because it represents the two atomic bombs that were dropped there during WWII.

JeezusX

Okay?

Post 4

swoodard

I believe that the OK sign made with the left hand is used in some Middle Eastern areas: it apparently looks similar to the Arabic word Allah.

Okay?

Post 5

The H2G2 Editors

Thanks for that swoodard. And welcome to h2g2 smiley - ok

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more