A Conversation for Don't Panic - Frequently Asked Questions

Removing Stuff

Post 1

Bruce (Freelance Cynic)

Bah. My first attempt at fiddling with my journal and I accidentally submit something twice. Fine. Everyone makes mistakes (although I tend to bribe witnesses to mine to forget about them).

How do you REMOVE an entry made in error? Any offers of assistance?

(Oh and 'Preview' doesn't show how embedded HTML will format a journal entry - maybe it does that elsewhere, but after one mistake I'm not going to try to find out and look even sillier _just_ yet.

Removing Stuff

Post 2

Blaen

I've done exactly the same thing, and need to know how to remove a page that is wasting the guide space, hmm it's actually a blank page! smiley - smiley

Removing Stuff

Post 3

RichardG R#26400

Me too

Removing Stuff

Post 4

Kat Silver (32670)

There I was thinking it was only me - how long do the journal entries last anyway?

Removing Stuff

Post 5

RichardG R#26400

How long before I get a Pay Rise? - That's a better question.

Removing Stuff

Post 6

Garfield formerly known as Sandmaennchen

Not only that - what if accidentally you reply to something and want to take off your remark before you can get
embarassed about it?

Removing Stuff

Post 7

Garibaldi - Patented Mr G party at F14181?thread=256534

I would like to know how I could remove my first User PAge and replace it with one about me. :-\

Removing Stuff

Post 8

wingpig

Doesn't seem like anyone's paying much attention to this forum. No-one with any answers, anyway. What can we poor folk do?

Removing Stuff

Post 9

I don't know. Maybe we should get NATO to bomb the h2g2 Head Quarters. Then they might take notice.

Removing Stuff

Post 10

Garfield formerly known as Sandmaennchen

But wouldn't they accidentally hit something else, maybe your service provider?

Removing Stuff

Post 11

wingpig

Maybe we ought to be nice to them. After all, they are doing some things right. All the other HHGG-related sites are way too sci-fi pale person weirdo-orientated compared with this. Would DNA pull the William Shatner trick of telling his fans to get lives? Hopefully not. Unless it's a journal or forum entry you're unhappy with, simply change the title and content to something else about which you feel the need to comment. I wouldn't worry too much about the space text takes up on their servers but something somewhere has to keep track of all the pages, so usefullness in what its time is devoted to might be welcome. TDV people seem to be replying less and less to forum postings - either they're bored with their new toy or they've been eaten by the affronted servers at their end.

Removing Stuff

Post 12

Baaboy

Hmmmmm, another mindless idiot has fallen into the same trap. I had just finished looking at this forum listing, laughing at the stupidity of these people, and I went back to my user pages. I typed up another entry, saw that there was a mistake, went back to change it, hit enter and the damn thing had gone through twice!!

HELP ME!!!

Removing Stuff

Post 13

No, suffer in your jocks like the rest of us. smiley - smiley

Removing Stuff

Post 14

Baaboy

Well, if that's the way you're going to be, I'll just go and jump into a bag of chips.
Do you think anyone ever reads this forum and ponders about the possibility of the merest chance of the thought even slightly wanting to begin crossing their mind of replying to one of these things?

Removing Stuff

Post 15

wingpig

On occasion that nice Mr. Lynn will pop along and say that they're currently trying to do this or that or have done the other (which no-one wanted) but they're probably trying to review stuff at the moment. UNless they're getting carried away with playing with their new digital camera. "If you ignore the problem it might go away" might be their way of thnking.

Removing Stuff

Post 16

Baaboy

Oh no, don't mention thinking around me.

Why do you think I came to this forum in the first place? So I wouldn't have to think!!

I have to lie down, my brain hurts...

Removing Stuff

Post 17

Researcher 44891

How to go about removing user pages

Go to your home page
Click the edit next to the user page you want to remove
Remove ALL text and the title
click Update page
Repeat steps 1 to 3, now click the Please consider this page for removal
Wait whilst the powers that be, do
If this doesn't work wait for the revolution and see which editors were first up against the wall

If you are curious about how this message looks so different try looking atformatting.
Research until you know everything or someone pays you not to.Researcher 44891.

Removing Stuff

Post 18

Researcher 44891

How to go about removing user pages

1.Go to your home page
2.Click the "edit" next to the user page you want to remove
3.Remove ALL text and the title
4.Click the "Update page" button
5.Repeat steps 1 to 3, now click the "Please consider this page for removal"
6.Wait whilst the powers that be, do
7.If this doesn't work wait for the revolution and see which editors are first up against the wall

Research until you know everything or someone pays you not to.Researcher 44891.

Removing Stuff

Post 19

Baaboy

Not really curious about why the message looks different. It's obvious that some smarty pants was trying to use HTML tags in the foruum. He should have researched this a bit first, BECAUSE THEY DON'T WORK!!! And sides, that only ever deletes the entry, leaving a blank space in place of your wisdom.

And then, how do you delete journal entries?

Removing Stuff

Post 20

wingpig

It's probably best to write down on a bit of paper the forum you wish to forget about so that you can ignore any replies that come up.

Key: Complain about this post