A Conversation for The Eden Project, Cornwall, UK

Tourist Attractions OF THE FUTURE!

Post 1

Merangadan

"Of the future!" to be shouted in an American Sci-Fi film made in the 50's voice.
First,just like to say great entry.

I have been reading about the "Eden project" since before they commenced building and instantly though it was brilliant! If more "Tourist Attractions" could have a scientific duel purpose it would increase interest, general science knowledge and invest more in science and particularly the Environment.

I studied "Environmental Management" at college because I thought it would leed to a well paid job but ended up going a bit environment mad. I think that the more people know as much as possible about our environment the better, its an issue were going to have to deal with sooner or later.

I am 21 and realistically dont think that any government is going to do anything very drastic to stop the various forms of damage were doing, not in the fist half of my life time. With this in mind I think my generations role will be incredably important never the less, how we raise our children is going to dictate how our planet will fare.

Merangadan smiley - biggrin

Patronising aint I! smiley - winkeye

Post 2

C Hawke

smiley - smiley Hope of the future - "Non illigitamus carborundum " (translation see http://www.bbc.co.uk/h2g2/guide/A218882)

With 700,000 visitors going to Eden, if a small percentage change the way they view the world - I for one have started putting money where mouth is and buying FreeTrade products when I can - the it will have achieved something.

Have you yet visited yet?

ChawkE

Post 3

Merangadan

No I'm up in Glasgow but I'm going to go down to Cornwall this summer and I'll definitly make time to see it!

Merangadan

Post 4

I'm not really here

I went to Cornwall in July, and I made a special effort to stay close to this so I could go and see it, after I'd read this entry. I hadn't heard about it anywhere before.
It's great, I really loved it. I'd advise anyone going in the troical biome to take a drink though, as my mouth got so dry after a while I was letting the watering sprays wash over me. Standing there with my mouth open, very glamourous. smiley - smiley

I'll be going back, probably in a couple of years, if not next year, as there were things on the map that weren't actually planted yet. And it will be good to see the other 'fields' with better cover, but I'm glad I saw it as it is.
Even my little boy loved it, seeing tea growing was a surprise for him I think. smiley - smiley

Post 5

C Hawke

Glad you liked it, I've been twice since full opening, seperated by about 6 weeks, and I noticed a big difference, and hope to go again in the next month or so, the changes are what makes it worthwile.

Although a work friend said he could have seen everything for cheaper by just visiting a Garden centre!

ChawkE

Post 6

I'm not really here

That's a bit harsh of your friend, I don't remember seeing banana trees or coffee bushes at my local Cramphorns.

It's a bit more difficult for me to get down there more often, I live 300 miles away. I would if I lived closer though, I was thinking about becoming a 'freind' anyway.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more