A Conversation for Murray Walker - Commentator Extraordinaire

1911 Brickyard bricks

Post 1

Pimms

I liked this entry smiley - biggrin and could follow most of it easily, but this bit of trivia went right over my head.

What is the significance of 1911 Brickyard bricks? (what is the 1911 Brickyard?) smiley - erm

Pimms smiley - smiley

1911 Brickyard bricks

Post 2

Number Six

Without going back and re-reading the entry, I'm pretty sure the 'Brickyard' is the nickname of the track where they run the Indianapolis 500.

smiley - mod

1911 Brickyard bricks

Post 3

Cyzaki

Indeed, the Brickyard is the indy track, which once contained 1911 bricks. Maybe that needs a footnote?

smiley - panda

1911 Brickyard bricks

Post 4

kevthedrummer

The Brickyard is indeed the nickname of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway. The course used to be paved with 3.2 million bricks. There is still a metre wide strip of the original bricks across the start/finish line. The first Indy 500 was held in 1911 and was won by Ray Harroun in a Marmon Wasp, the first car to use a rear-view mirror. The circuit originally opened in 1909.

Key: Complain about this post

Write an Entry

"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a wholly remarkable book. It has been compiled and recompiled many times and under many different editorships. It contains contributions from countless numbers of travellers and researchers."

Write an entry
Read more